1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Get 2 XP PCs to see each other

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Hugenstein, Oct 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hugenstein

Hugenstein Thread Starter

I have two XP PCs lined into my linksys router, I've run the MS N/w wizard several times with MSHOME as the workgroup and the PCs with unique names. I can't see the other PCs shared folders in either's "Network Places".

1) I have tried with and without firewalls (I only use the Windows default f/w)
    2) Should I try skipping the router and go direct into each other? I only want to transfer files and settings from one PC to the the other.
    3) When I change the status of any folder on 1 of the PCs to a "Shared Folder", it prompts me with a message "Server service has not been started", but looks like its changing the folder status. Is this indicitive of the issue?
    4) The same PC with the folder sharing prompt has two user accounts on it, each with a password; the other PC has no accounts, and thus no passwords. Do I need to create user accounts on the new PC?

I haven't been able to find anyone with this situation on the orums already, but does this ring a bell to anyone? Thanks for your help.

Ryan

2. huggie54

huggie54

just a thought buddy the" Dont allow exceptions" box isn't checked on windows firewall

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    XP Home or Pro? If Pro, using Simple File Sharing (SFS)?

Make sure the following services are running (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services). The Startup Type on my machine is 'Automatic' except for the one indicated.

Computer Browser
    DHCP Client
    DNS Client
    Network Location Awareness (Startup Type 'Manual')
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    Server
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
    Workstation

4. Hugenstein

Hugenstein Thread Starter

Thanks Huggie, noticed that yesterday. Firewalls were configured "correctly" for sharing.

Terry, you are the man, I started the last two services and bickety-bam! The folders showed up on my other PC's network places.

Thank you all immensely.

Ryan

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome! :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759435

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice