1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't get audio output from PC

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kenneth7379, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenneth7379

kenneth7379 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ken
    I recently disconnected my tower and connected a substitute to diagnose a problem. Since I've reconnected the original PC, I can't get analog audio output to feed to my stereo. I'm sure the audio path is good to the point where it plugs into the computer - I can touch the tip of the plug on the patchcable and make it hum. However, plugging it in (to the green 3.5mm jack) doesn't produce audio. I haven't made any changes to the computer or drivers, so I believe it should work. I've tried searching this online with no success. Any thoughts?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3293 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476929 MB, Free - 456757 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, G41M-P23 (MS-7592)
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Have you checked the audio volume mixer (double click on speaker icon on right side of taskbar if visible) to see if the volume is turned down or muted?

Does the Windows Hardware Device Manager control panel show any yellow warning or red error markers on any of the hardware?

3. kenneth7379

kenneth7379 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ken
    I've checked the audio mixer, and the volume is turned up full. But....when I went into Control Panel and clicked on Sounds and Audio Devices, I found the Device Volume set at minimum. Turned it up and all is well. Thanks, Cwwozniak!

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome; Kenneth. Glad to hear you figured it out.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!