1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: can't get chipset driver to update. 990fxa

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blittzin, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Hi and thanks to anyone kind enough to take time to help me. I have a gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 and I installed the chipset driver from the mobo cd it's realtek pcie gbe family controller. I've been trying to update it with the only chipset driver I can find for this board from the gigabyte website. It won't update and I've tried everything. Cpu z shows amd north and southbridge. I tried running the driver, going into device manager and it says realtek pcie etc..... is the best driver. I'm new to chipsets and embarrased to say I'm learning but really behind in builds and oc'ing. I'm used to nvidia chipsets. Download from nvidia untick firewall and install. I'm not even sure if the chipset drivers go with network adapter but my device manager shows no chipset or anything amd. I'm lost. The realtek driver is what installed from install cd as chipset driver. I've been looking around all day to fix this myself. It's embarassing to ask things that should be simple to fix. Thanks again.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Hi triple6, and thanks once again for helping me. I've had 2 asus boards with nvidia chipset the m4n82 chipset driver went fine. The p5n-t I use as my pc for school, internet. In high school my brother had a m3n-ht and I never had a problem. I looked on amd, even tried to auto-detect and it couldn't detect my chipset, so I tried using the chip driver from gigabyte, ran it as admin, went in to device manager and didn't see amd or chipset at all. When you helped me with the packet loss I had no mmc, group policy, and didn't have the minimum 10 protocol. I bought this board, bulldozer,case and windows 7. I've been spending what little time I have when I'm not in school at work, or studying to work on this pc. I'm having the same issues. I went home over the weekend and tried everything. I have no mmc and the chipset apparently isn't listed. Could it be that I'm not letting windows install completely? I'm grasping at straws maybe. I'll attach a couple of screens. Thanks again this is no doubt the best forum.

Attached Files:

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

That explains a lot. I think I found them. There are two that sound like the ones I've been looking for. I'm not sure how to go about updating them, since they're split. The amd driver you found is really new and I'm going to use that one. Assuming I'm right about those two being the drivers I'm not sure until I can ask you how to update a split driver from one download. I think the north is the more important one and goes right to the cpu. Would I update the northbridge or do they need to be done separately? You totally bailed me out again. This makes me realize I haven't found pio and dma in the bios and I dont understand why but my master is shown as my cd rom even though I have my hd and the small ssd in port 0 or 1 and the optical in port 4-6. I don't have a clue yet about the gsata ports. Could having the optical drive in a raid array port cause this. You guys have no idea how much I appreciate your time and generosity. I'm going to donate before going to class. It's depressing to google for information about an issue I'm having and the only result is a forum question posted by me. The humor of it isn't lost on me though. I wish I could help people as well as donate but for now I'm way to green to answer a lot of the questions I see. You, etaf and crjdriver are awesome mod's. P.S. I attached a screenshot of the only two I could find under system driver that sound like the ones.

Attached Files:

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you install the AMD chipset driver package, you're done. You don't need to update the drivers beyond what the installer does, its a complete package.

For SATA there is no Master or Slave settings; all drives are "Master", actually independent. Additionally for the older PATA(IDE) any device can be Master as long as its jumpered as Master and as long as its the only Master device on that same IDE cable.

PIO is a dead option, no new BIOS offers it as a setting.

7. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Awesome! I hope this driver takes. I gave up on the p5n-t and took it with me to use at school. I have the ram issue to work on now, it won't run my 1866 ram at anything over 1333 without a lot of trouble from what I've heard and read. Even with incremental settings for ram and eorp funcition it won't run. The company misrepresented this board by leading people to believe the only overclock was 2000MHz ram, and the rest would run automatically. Most of the places that sold this board are complicit in my opinion. Sincere thanks.......

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The board can run 1866Mhz memory, with a compatible AM3+ CPU which yours is. But it may require manual adjustment and correct matching of timings and voltage. Also its best to buy RAM that is approved by the motherboard manufacturer. What is the exact model of RAM that you have?

9. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

I missed your reply about the ram. This will give me the chance to show you the screens you asked for also. I'm running corsair dominator 1866 2 x 4 gigs in the recommended slots. It's supported ram on the short qvl list. It's plenty fast ram I figured I could easily amp it a little bit more without damaging or going to extreme oc'ing. A LOT of people are p.o.'d about this, and rightfully so. EVERY retailer that sells this board only warned that 2000 MHz would need OC*. The specs/description did say that to get the any ram avobe 1333 would need an am3 cpu installed first. I still have a phenom II 555 and was going to install it especially realizing the bios has a cpu unlock. I'd like to turn it into a quad core. The box arrived proudly showing am3+ bios update included, so I put the zambezi in. I think I might try the am3 install since I have to take the am3+ out to install a hyper 212 evo I found a good deal on at x-mas. I like to learn but I also have a drive to learn why exactly I have an issue, what caused it, and find a solution. Here are the screenshots. As always thanks for your time and help.

Attached Files:

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Can you post the exact model of the Corsair RAM? See here: http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/dominator.html

FYI, retailers only list what they are told, no retailer does their their own testing or re-marketing of a product they simply re-sell. There may be compatibility issues but the motherboard and CPU are both capable of running 1866Mhz speeds.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

Thanks again. what made me look sideways was on the one ati i/o it reports no device driver installed. I did actually see the raid xpert showing in my remove programs. I can show you the "evidence" with a screenshot. There was a caveat when I ordered this board that suggested starting with a phenom or am3 cpu first. I'm going to try that this weekend just to see if it helps. A lot of guys are struggling with this and who knows, it could be that simple. You know my bone of contention about gigabyte not warning us that it would become an overclock. This board should in my opinion run the ram through increment setting or the eorp function. Especially after boasting about the am3+ bios update. Here are a couple of screenshots. The I fail screenshot isn't a good sign. The other shows the raidxpert driver you sent me. My screens should show fully in post. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

13. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

I tried the incremetal change 1600 1866 and even though I enabled load optimized voltages it flashes a red warning that voltages are not optimized. This might cause me to look at yet another board with an intel chipset that isn't a hassle to run supported qvl ram like gigabyte claimed. I should include the ram specs and I'll include the description all websites I looked on before I bought this board and the am3 first advisory. When I took these screens the part about am3 cpu isn't on any website now tiger direct in my opinion is showing on oc for 2000MHz. I like corsair and this was my choice even though it happened to be on the qvl which is notoriously short due to lack of testing so many brands of ram. I'm not a fan of oc'ing outside of slight increases.

Attached Files:

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I see the AMD Catalyst Install Manager showing in Programs and Features, thats all that normally shows there, it doesn't list the individual parts with the exception of the RAID Xpert Utility.

You don't need to install an AM3 before you install an AM3+ processor to get 1866Mhz support, what they mean is that in order to get 1866Mhz you must install a AM3+ processor, their wording is just poor.

If you cannot get this RAM to run correctly I'd suggest returning it; it may just be faulty.
    But it's also not on the tested list of RAM from Gigabyte, so maybe its not fully compatible: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/memory_ga-990fxa-ud5.pdf

As a side note, uninstall the Registry Cleaner garbage, any registry cleaner or booster is garbage and dangerous to use.

15. Blittzin

Blittzin Thread Starter

I never thought of that. I just burned memtest .iso to disc last week for 4 gigs+. I'm going to test it. As always many thanks and much respect......

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1038890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice