1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cant Get Into Post After Failed Bios Uprgrade.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FooToo, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FooToo

FooToo Thread Starter

Hey Guys and Gals im very new Here haha.
    I need some help very badly, I'll start here:
    I have recently Installed Windows 7 onto my computer and i was downloading drivers and had everything complete. I was then interested in overclocking my pc, so i thought ohh i have outdated Bios let me upgrade it.
    And this is were is goes all down hill.

I had started up the bios upgrader and it got to 22% then it became non-responsive so i though that if i closed out of it and tried reopening the program that i will work properly this time, well i thought wrong. the program was telling me that it could not upgrade the bios and i was like ohh ill just restart and ill be fine, well it turns out i am not fine :-/

My computer cant get into POST and or BIOS alone.

Here are the specs:
    AcerPower FH
    Windows 7
    2Gb Ram
    Fatal1ty Sound Blaster Sound Card
    Intel Pentium D 2.56Ghz
    GeForce GTX 275
    700w Power Supply (modular)
    CD-RW/CD-R/CD/DVD/DVD-RW/DVD-R/Lighscribe 16x
    145GB Hard Drive Primary
    350GB Hard Drive Secondary

The mother board is : 946GZT-AM V:1.0

I really want to get this up and running asap.

Are there a couple ways of maybe recovering from this?

Please help me,

Justin

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If you bumped out of a BIOS flash at any point before it was finished, it can often lose it completely. If BIOS isnt working, nothing else will work- dead mobo. It is possible that you got the wrong BIOS or it didnt take, whichever way, not good. Some mobos have a BIOS recovery feature, I cant find much info on yours unfortunately. You coul dtry resetting BIOS (take the battery out for a long while) and it MIGHT help. Apart from that, its either finda new BIOS chip , get the board replaced by the maker (unlikely if they check and see a naffed bios) or buy a new one. Sorry its not the answer you want, but chances are its kaput :(

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Were you flashing the BIOS from the Acer site?

Your board identifier, i.e. 946GZT-AM V:1.0 looks like the board may be an Acer Proprietary Intel 946GZTS board.

If you were flashing the BIOS from the Acer site, unless Acer has a recovery BIOS file for the board I would guess you are out of luck.

If the board is Intel Acer proprietary board, the BIOS chip is soldered to the board and can't be replaced.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First and foremost, read your manual and see if this board uses the intel bios recovery. If it does, you are in luck. If it does not use a bios recovery, you are out of luck and will need to buy a new board.

Now for the really really bad news. I highly doubt you could overclock a proprietary board in the first place. For no reason at all, you attempted an upgrade that would not give you any other features and killed the board in the process.

This is one of the reasons we stress so much. DO NOT update a bios unless it has a fix or feature you need.

5. FooToo

FooToo Thread Starter

unfortunately i do not have the manual or more so i cant find it, the floppy drive i have hooked up doesn't even turn on..the cpu fan is running but the other case fan is that is connected to the board isn't turning on as well as the led for the power button. Acer does not supply the user manual. I can find it online but it shows no information on or about the motherboard.
    The motherboard is not an intel acer proprietary board, it has a removable cmos.
    do you think i can hotswap the chip?
    or is there other methods you guys can supply me with?

Thank you for the help i very much appreciate it. ^_^

-Justin

6. FooToo

FooToo Thread Starter

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Since you posted the floppy drive does not "turn on" then no a blind flash will not work. At this point I would contact badflash. You posted the bios chip is removable so I would just have them ship me a bios chip and install the new chip.

FWIW I have used badflash on a number of occasions and I have always been happy with their service.

The other option is a hot flash of the bios however this requires a high level of skill AND you run the risk of damaging the working system. Unless you really really want instructions on hot flashing, I will not post them.

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

crjdriver: I'd be interested in a copy of those instructions. Can you PM them to me??

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Dave check your PM

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK got it right this time.

11. FooToo

FooToo Thread Starter

My Bios is the Award Bios and has a recovery feature.

I Borrowed a Floppy drive from my friend so i can do it.
    I also have a usb floppy drive but every time i put a floppy in it says i need to format it and it says either it cant or it's write-protected. i know how to take write protection off but could it be that i am using old floppy's or is it a bad usb floppy drive?

Either or i am going to get New Floppy's tommorow.
    if the new floppy's dont work as well will it be the usb floppy that is failing?
    or is it that i am on vista?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I doubt the recovery will work with a usb type floppy; at least I have never seen it work. You need a regular type floppy drive. Follow the instructions for bios recovery exactly and it will work.

Note if you miss one step, it will not work.

Post back with the results.

13. FooToo

FooToo Thread Starter

The usb floppy is to put the information on the floppy.

I have a regular floppy drive that is operational.
    On the other behalf the usb floppy isn't working, so im going to have to use another workstation plug the regular floppy drive into it and put the necessary files onto it.
    than put the regular floppy into the main computer and try it.

I will post results ASAP.

-Justin

14. FooToo

FooToo Thread Starter

Im a little stuck here.
    As i have said i cant get into post.
    The cpu fan turns on but the other motherboard fan does not.
    usb,video,ps/2 keyboard and mouse dont work (as i know of)
    I cant see any video on my screen im using the Analog connection on the motherboard. maybe i should try my graphics card?
    My floppy drive does work, i have Award Bios and if anyone has any suggestions on how to reset my bios entirely through any method is very very appreciated. I need my computer running again please help me

-Justin

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/858316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice