1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't get IP address from router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mikealexa, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikealexa

mikealexa Thread Starter

I am trying to connect two computers to a new router. One works fine, but the other cannot seem to get an IP address from the router. If I do a ipconfig /renew, the message is "could not contact DHCP server". The history of this computer is that it was previously used with a dialup connection and ICS. I remember having to do some "unnatural" things to make that work, but I don't remember what they were or how to undo them. The IPCONFIG is shown below. How do I set the DHCP server address?
    I have tried uninstalling the adapter and reinstalling with no success. Also tried changing cables. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mike>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MIKESDELL
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
    ter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-0B-C5-1F
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.210.251
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

2. Sponsor

3. coulterp

coulterp

On the box with the problem (assuming WinXP, W2K will be similar). Under My Network Places / View Network Connections / LAN or High-speed Internet you should find your Local Area Connection 2 icon. Right-click on icon and do properties. Ensure you have ticked at least the following:
    • Client for Microsoft Networks
    • File and Rrinter Sharing for Microsft Network
    • Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Under this last (TCP/IP) select Properties, and opt to "Obtain IP address automatically". This should allow the NIC to pick up IP details from the DHCP server (router).

Since you previously had ICS in use on this PC then you also want to ensure that you now have ICS disabled.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

"could not contact DHCP server" could also be a hardware problem. If coulterp's suggestions don't get you working, try switching cables with the other PC, and then switching router ports to see if the problem sticks with the computer, cable or port.

5. mikealexa

mikealexa Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies ...
    coulterp .. I have certainly done all that. In fact I have compared ALL the TCP/IP properties with the machine that works, and they are identical.
    TerryNet .. I think you are right, and the problem is in the ethernet adapter. I have tried switching cables and ports with no joy, but then you gave me an idea! The router has one USB connection! So I loaded the driver, connected via USB, and bingo! it works. So I guess its my (on board) ethernet adapter ... sigh.
    Thanks again guys.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

"So I guess its my (on board) ethernet adapter ... sigh."

Entirely possible--they do go bad. You've already tried uninstalling it so about the only other things you could try with it are a physical uninstall (if it is a PCI card) and reinstall, and a driver update if there is one.

7. mikealexa

mikealexa Thread Starter

Well ... I was WRONG. It was connected for a while using USB, but the next time I rebooted the router, I get the same situation ... can't renew the IP address. What's going on????

8. coulterp

coulterp

What's the router make/model?
    Can you get unto the router maintenance pages (from the PC that has no trouble with its connection) and look at any status pages the router has? Post your findings.
    What ipconfig/all details do you get on the PC with the good connection?
    The router itself is configured to issue more than 1 IP addresses as DHCP server? Yes? ;)

9. the_iconster

the_iconster

If it is just this computer that you are having a problem with, you can try manually assigning it an IP Adress from the TCP/IP properties. Make sure it is in the proper range of your router (Go to the router maintenance page, as coulterp stated, and it should say the range under dhcp properties or something to that tune). Also, make sure it is not the same as any other computer you're using on the router. Your router's maintenance page will tell you what to put for subnet, default gateway, DNS, etc.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

Like coulterp said, "What's the router make/model?".

Also, when you have a good connection with one computer, is the IP configuration coming from the router (usually 192.168.n.x or maybe 10.x.y.z) or is it a public address coming from your ISP?

If the latter, I think you may have the modem connected to a LAN port on the router, or else this is a modem/router combo and it could be in "bridge" or "pass through" mode (bypassing the router function--only one PC allowed at a time).

11. mikealexa

mikealexa Thread Starter

The final solution was to go through the windows services and set all to the windows default i.e. manual or automatic. I don't know which one solved the problem but now it works.

THanks for all the replies

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453251