1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't get my Hotmail account to work with Windows Live Mail 2012.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BIGALX58, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

It seems to me that the only way I can access my Hotmail account with Windows 8.1 is by using Windows Live Mail 2012. I set up the Outlook.com account and that works fine, but the Hotmail account does not send or receive emails. I get 'logon messages' asking for my password all the time. I tried to set up the Hotmail account using the same WLM settings as on my desktop computer with Win 7, but the categories are not the same for Win 8.1 and the info cannot be entered. I have tried to follow the suggestions that I have seen in other threads, but they haven't helped.
    Right now, I have the following settings for my Hotmail: My ID is my Hotmail address, along with my password that I use; the incoming server is POP3; the server field is pop3.live.com with SSL checked and port 995; the outgoing server is smtp.live.com with port 25, with the SSL box checked. My desktop computer WLM 2012 is set up as follows: the ID's etc are my Hotmail addresses and passwords, but there is a server URL....http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaSync_v2.0.0/sync.aspx[/url] instead of outgoing and incoming servers etc. There is no Advanced tab here as in Win 8.1.
    I hope my explanation is not too confusing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    with pop it will depend ifyou are leaving the email on the server

if you log into your hotmail account are the emails there

Why not allow hotmail to automatically setup
    it works OK on WLM 12 on 8.1 I have set up quite a few hotmail/outlook accounts

Also it works with the mail app as well

3. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. How do you let Hotmail set up automatically? I don't know if there are any emails in the account...can't open it....When I try to log in the Hotmail account, I automatically get Outlook,com.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    outlook.com is hotmail

when you add an account in WLM - it will search for the servers and settings automatically

5. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

When I add the Hotmail account, I do not see anything that would lead me to believe that Hotmail will search for servers and settings. I have only have two choices, set the Hotmail as default or manually set the servers and settings.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    when you goto
    email accounts
    Add
    you get a screen to add your
    email address
    password
    name

Then you have a tick box - to set up manually
    if you DO NOT tick that box
    it will setup using the outlook.com active sync settings (which is not POP or IMAP)

7. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

After I enter my Hotmail address, password and name and click 'next', the screen goes to 'WLM is synchronizing this account....etc' 'Hotmail ( my name)' appears in the Account column on the left. I cannot expand that title to show the Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items etc.
    Sync is still in progress...

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yes, it can take a little while to open

when you login on the web (outlook.com)

do you have emails on the server on the website ?

9. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

I do have emails when I log into Outlook.com....BTW... I have been using Outlook.com for a while now...it is not my first time. I notice that some places seem to suggest using the automatic setup when you just open Outlook for the first time.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so have you used the automatic setup and has the folders now appeared ?

11. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Automatic setup is not available for me. There is nothing that I can click that will do an automatic setup . I must have a different version of WLM or Outlook.com.?? I have found sites that describe exactly what you are talking about and they have a spot where one can click to use the automatic setup...I don't have it.:(

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    EDIT - screen shots added

can you show some screen shots
    You are using Windows live mail version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331)
    I think is the latest - just checking
    And i will try posting a few screen shots myself

correct

Attached Files:

13. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

I have to leave for a while, but I'll get back later....How do you make screen shots? I've forgotten.

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    To post a screen shot of the active window.

Windows XP
    Hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application (Start> All Programs> Accessories> Paint) and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.

Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

Windows 8
    you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.
    >Press the Esc. key.
    >go back to your Windows 8 start screen - Swipe from left or press Window Button
    >Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool
    see here
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/windows/3415854/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3405830/how-take-screenshot-in-windows-8/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

15. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

Here's the screenshot....

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1151019

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice