Solved: Can't get online with WRT160N v2 router and Comcast Arris TM602g modem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lanen

Hello. I've seen a lot of posts with similar problems here and elsewhere, but so far none of the solutions I've tried (resetting the router, power cycling everything, MAC cloning, disabling UPnP, changing RTS, fragmentation, and beacon settings, etc) have worked. My parents got the Comcast bundle with phone and now the internet doesn't work unless the PC is connected directly to the modem. When I hook up the router I can see the wireless signal with my laptop, but the link light on the modem stays off and I can't get online with either computer. (If I switch things so that the computer is hooked to the "internet" port on the router and the modem is connected to one of the four other router ports the link light blinks like it was online, but doesn't actually work.) When I go to the router status I get all zeros.

Without router:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Herb
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.fl.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.fl.comcast.net.
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASIX AX88772 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-B6-0B-89-DA
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 98.203.46.83
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 98.203.40.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 76.96.92.197
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:16:53 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 22, 2012 5:22:07 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

With router:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Herb
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ASIX AX88772 USB2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-B6-0B-89-DA
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:55:19 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 22, 2012 1:55:19 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

Thanks.

etaf

First Name
Wayne
have you done a complete powercycle (see below) - often modems require this to work

when the router is connected to the modem using internet port on the router , does the modem lights stop working then ?
how is the router settings configured to work with the modem

heres an online emulator for the wrt160n
http://ui.linksys.com/files/WRT160N/v2/2.0.00/
if you go to status on the real router - what information is there - as you say all zeros - then its not picking up the modem information
the cable works on the PC - the same cable you use to connect the modem to the router

perhaps some screen shots of the router may help here, of the status and of the basic setup page

have you tried a factory reset of the router and started again

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
  • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
  • Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes,
  • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
  • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lanen

I've tried power cycling many times and did again just now. I did a factory reset of the router earlier this week on the first day I tried to get it to work. When the router is connected to the modem all the relevant lights come on except the link light. (It comes on briefly when it first starts up, but then goes off.) Here are the screen shots from the router:

Attachments

Lanen

I saw a post on Yahoo by someone who tried connecting the modem to port 1 on the router instead of the internet port and the computer to port 2. Port 2 doesn't seem to work on my router, but port 3 does. I'm now online on the PC with that setup. No luck with the wireless for the laptop (Macbook Pro.) I'm getting the signal, but no connection.

etaf

First Name
Wayne
page 70 of the modem user manual says you need to use a crossover cable to connect the modem to the router
most modern connections are auto sensing and will work , which may be why the PC works OK , or as stated , the cable is a straight cable , if it has an auto sensing LAN Connection - I'm not sure if the WRT160N has an auto sensing internet connection
so my next step would be to check if the cable is a cross over and if not try a cross over cable
see here for the colour codes on the connector for straight and cross over http://www.incentre.net/ethernet-wiring-diag.html
User Manual
http://www.arrisi.com/support/documentation/user_guides/_docs/TM602_User_Guide_Std1-7.pdf
I’m not getting on the Internet. (Ethernet)
If you are using a hub, is the hub turned on?
Are you using the right type of Ethernet cable? Use the supplied cable for direct connection to a computer; use a cross-over cable for connection to a hub or home router.
Press the Reset button on the back of the Telephony Modem.

etaf

First Name
Wayne
I saw a post on Yahoo by someone who tried connecting the modem to port 1 on the router instead of the internet port and the computer to port 2. Port 2 doesn't seem to work on my router, but port 3 does. I'm now online on the PC with that setup. No luck with the wireless for the laptop (Macbook Pro.) I'm getting the signal, but no connection.
that configuration is using the router just as a switch and will only allow 1 pc to connect , and wireless will not work - see my reply above re cable type

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
Actually the wireless connections will pull a public IP address, but Comcast only allows 1 IP from what I remember.

The WRT160N spec sheet shows all LAN ports are autosensing, not sure if the WAN is but I would assume so. I would suspect the cable too.

Lanen

I got a crossover cable this evening and tried it after power cycling a couple times and also factory resetting the router again. No connection.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
The router is old... i wonder if the WAN port is bad...

Lanen

Couriant: It appears you were right.

I got a new router today (a WD My Net N600) and it was up and running in a few minutes. D'oh! I can't believe I spent a week trying to use a broken router. I saw so many people having problems with their connections that it didn't really occur to me that it might just be that, especially since it was working fine the last time I was here at my parents house. Thanks etaf and Couriant.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online