1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Can't get out of safe mode

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by psychocandy, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. psychocandy

psychocandy Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    I have some sort of issue with my system that will not allow me to return to regular Windows once the system goes into Safe Mode. Microsoft hasn't been able to tell me how to fix it, and normally, it isn't a problem- I just don't use Safe Mode at all. However, yesterday, when the system restarted and gave me the option between (1) continue to load Windows or (3) Safe Mode, my keyboard has unplugged from the back of the CPU and therefore the system entered Safe Mode by default.
    NOW... my problem is, I cannot restart the system in Windows, it goes straight into Safe Mode. I have checked every setting that the Help Troubleshooter recommendes, and the system still will only load in either DOS or Safe Mode.
    Any suggestions? I can access the internet and my e-mail in Safe Mode (although the graphics are horrible), so I will be able to check any recommendations anyone might have. i would really appreciate it!! Thanks,
    Cindy

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

A restoration of a previous registry may set things in order. If you have Win98, do it this way.

Press and hold the ctrl key as soon as the system starts to boot. A "boot menu" should appear. Choose the "command prompt" option. At the c:\> prompt, enter:

scanreg /restore

use the arrow keys to select a "started" registry which predates the problem.

If you have WinME, you need to boot with a startup disk and at the a:\> prompt enter each line:

c:
    cd windows
    scanreg /restore

You say you can access the internet in safe mode? I thought I was imagining that I used to be able to do that. Perhaps, though, you are not really in safe mode, but just have lost your normal video resolution. Anyway follow the same instructions and see if it is restored.

Be sure to select a registry that predates the original "crash", but do not select the "oldest" or "hidden" one, that will likely not restore.

3. psychocandy

I forgot all about restoring an earlier registry, and will have to try it. I'm so glad you mentioned about the video resolution, because initially, it did prompt me to change some graphics settings in the Control Panel from high to low. I'll try to restore a previous registry and I'll let you know.
    I didn't think you could dial up your internet connection while in Safe Mode, either, and was kind of surprised that I could do so. It didn't occur to me that it might be something else!
    Thanks so much for your advice, and I'll let you know how it works out, or if I need more help!!
    Take care

4. psychocandy

I tried the scanreg and it worked, all I will have to do is re-update my virus scan. Thanks SO much. You guys kick major butt!! :D
    I REALLY appreciate your help.
    Thanks again,
    Cindy

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Terrific :) It's Win98s most handy utility :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice