1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't get rid of file icon on desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ill-literate, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ill-literate

ill-literate Thread Starter

So yeah, I currently have this "file" on my desktop which I can not delete. I've tried a few programs like tuneup utilities and I still can't get rid of it. My computer says that the file either "does not exist" or "can not be located". So pretty much it's just an icon to my understanding? I pretty much can't do anything to it. It just sits on my desktop.

I'm hoping it's not a virus, and so far my anti-virus has not detected any viruses. It was a downloaded mp3 file that a friend grabbed from some random website.

Please help...

PS. I have a window's vista if that helps.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Does it have any right-click properties? Can you delete it in DOS? Does it have any unusual characters in it's name? What icon is it? When did it appear?

3. ill-literate

I can right click and go to its properties. It says there it has 0 bytes and it's just says it's a file. It was created like August 27? That's what it says. The icon is that piece of paper with the folded corner. And no, there are no weird characters, it's just what it was suppose to be called (the song title) when my stupid friend downloaded it.

4. ill-literate

oh and I'm pretty computer illiterate so I wouldn't know how to delete in DOS.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

6. ill-literate

YES. THANKS BUD! I really appreciate the help. Unlocker got rid of it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice