1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't get to Admin screen to configure new router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zeekstern, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeekstern

zeekstern Thread Starter

Here is my Desktop Specs:

Windows XP Svc Pack 3
    Mainboard : Asus P5KPL-CM
    Network Card : Atheros AR8121/AR8113 PCI-E Ethernet Controller
    Current Router - LinkSys BEFSR41 (Hardwired, CATV cable)

Static IP - 192.168.1.100, 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1

Problem: I purchased a new GB router, Dlink DIR825, wireless and 4 ports, and cannot connect to it to set it up. I need to get into it to change its IP address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 and to make a few other changes. I have 6 different ethernet cables, all of which work with my desktop as well as my laptop. I can get into the new Dlink router just fine with my laptop so it is not a bad port on the new Dlink. The cables work with my existing router and my new router using my laptop so it isn't a cable problem.

My internet connection is Hughesnet (DISH) which uses the 192.168.0.1 address, the same as the new router. So here is what I have tried:

1. Powered down Hughes router, new router, and old router.
    2. Removed cable from Hughes router to old Linksys.
    3. Changed static IP on desktop from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.0.50 and Gateway to 192.168.0.1.
    4. Rebooted
    5. Connected ethernet cable from desktop to Port 1 on new router.
    6. Powered up new router.
    7. Brought up Browser and entered the 192.168.0.1. Nothing happens. The Port light on the new switch shows the connection properly and the other lights are on properly, except for the Internet light which I haven't hooked up yet.

The above does not work so I powered down everything and then:
    1. Connected the cable from the Hughes internet modem to the Internet port on the new modem.
    2. Powered up Hughes modem and waited for all lights to come on.
    3. Then powered up new router and waited for all lights to come on. This time the Internet light came on like it should.
    4. Powered up my desktop.
    5. Brought up Browser and entered the 192.168.0.1. Nothing happens. I expected this since there would be a conflict with the 2 modems having same IP.

Next I tried to basically set my desktop to use DHCP and removed the cable from the Hughes modem to the new router. Powered down everything then brought them up one at a time, Hughes modem, router, and PC. Still not able to connect to the new router.

I also used my laptop to set the new router to 192.168.1.1 and reset my static IP to the original 192.168.1.100, 255.255.255.0, Gateway 192.168.1.1. Still nothing and I couldn't even ping the router.

I am at a loss here. I tried a bunch more different stuff and probably just need to start over and try again. Anyone out there know of something else I could try? I have to be missing something.

Oh, DHCP didn't work on my desktop when I tried it. ipconfig showed zeros for everything.

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sorry, I got a little lost (not your fault; I probably just did not concentrate enough).

The problem is that one computer will not play nice with the new router with an ethernet connection? And the same computer may have a more general problem with Dhcp?

3. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Are you replacing the old Linksys router with the D-link?

This is how I would have done this.
    1. Leave everything else connected and powered up.
    2. Power up the D-Link and using an ethernet cable, connect only to the laptop which should be setup to use DHCP.
    3. Access the D-Link to change the D-Link's LAN IP (subnet) and check the DHCP range. Apply. Laptop should loose the connection.
    4. Reboot / restart the laptop and see if it reconnects to the D-Link using the new subnet.
    5. Now, power down the Hughes modem, the Linksys, the desktop, the D-Link, and laptop.
    6. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Hughes to the Linksys and plug it into the D-Link.
    7. Power up the Hughes modem and wait for it to stabilize.
    8. Power up the D-Link and wait for it to satbilize.
    9. Power up the laptop and see if it gets an internet connection.
    10. Plug the desktop into the D-Link, turn it on and check for a connection..

4. zeekstern

zeekstern Thread Starter

@Terrynet - I don't blame you for getting lost. I was trying to post enough info so that people could get a good idea of what I did.

The main problem is that my main desktop computer cannot talk to the new router. I feel that I should be able to connect to the new one and log into the router to configure it. I can't.
    However, I can use my laptop to connect to the new one with no problem. And that is what I did, and configured it to be in the same subnet etc as my desktop, I changed the IP of the new router to 192.168.1.1. My desktop IP is 192.168.1.100. I feel that I should be able to connect to the router with no problem and I can't.

The reason I want to be able to connect to the new router with my desktop is that it is my main computer. The documentation "hinted" that I should use that to configure it. The new router has the option to clone the MAC address etc which is why I want to do everything from my desktop. My problem with DHCP was when I reconfigured my desktop to use DHCP, and tried to connect to the router, I could not. IPconfig showed all zeroes for my network connection.

@ dlsayremn - I am pretty sure I did what you suggested, however, since I tried a whole bunch of stuff, it is possible I might have missed one of your steps. I do know for a fact that I did leave everything up and did what you said, except that I used my laptop and not the desktop. The new router came with a CD that walks you through those steps and I am certain I tried it. The only problem was that the CD tells you to power down the Hughesnet modem etc and never tells you top power it back up:)) I will try again tomorrow to follow what you wrote and see what happens.

A friend of mine mentioned that XP has an option for Network Discovery, and thinks I may have that turned off. I don't remember that setting and will see if I can find it.

Thanks for you guys responding. !!

Zeek

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You only have to clone the MAC address if your ISP is tracking the MAC Address of the device connected to the modem.

Other than the possible need to clone the MAC Address it makes no difference what computer you use to configure the router. I once used my iPod Touch to configure my neighbor's when she was taking forever with her computer. :)

It sounded to me like the desktop and new router are not playing nice together, but to trouble shoot that you have to be absolutely sure that you are using a correct static IP configuration or else use a dynamic connection.

(from a JohnWill post)

IP addresses of 0.0.0.0 are normally caused by one of the following.

Diagnosis:
    1. DHCP Service not running.
    2. Duplicate IP address on the network.
    3. Bad NIC card drivers.
    4. Defective NIC hardware.

Resolution:
    1. Check Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services. The DHCP Client service should be Started and its Startup Type should be Automatic.
    2. Turn off ALL of the computers and other network connected devices, reboot the router, then restart all the computers and other network devices.
    3. Check for upgraded drivers and/or reload the Network drivers.
    4. Replace the Network Interface Card.

If it's #4 the defect may be that the NIC is not auto syncing a speed with the new router, and sometimes we have a workaround for that.

There's also an outside chance of a firewall problem, but not likely.

6. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

Just to add to what TerryNet posted,
    If the laptop is connecting to the D-Link and it has internet access, that indicates the router is set up properly and there is no need to redo what is working.

While in the Services list on the desktop, you may want to check to be sure these other Services are Started and the Start Up Type is Automatic..

• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
    • Computer Browser (computer browser will start when needed)
    • DHCP Client
    • DNS Client
    • Network Connections
    • Network Location Awareness
    • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    • Server
    • TCP/IP Netbios helper
    • Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
    • Workstation

7. zeekstern

zeekstern Thread Starter

I'm on the internet with my Desktop and am getting the 1gb speeds. Boy that sure does make one heck of a difference.

@dlsayremn - That makes sense dlsayremn - I tried it but was not able to get to the internet. I was of course able to at least configure it. I then tried to get to it wireless through my laptop. I was able to name the SSID and got a Security Key but again no internet. I get a great signal, and it says connected, but it also says "No Internet Connection". That is a different problem, but I can get to the internet just fine with my Desktop.

@TerryNet - I did have DHCP off because I configured a static IP. It was configured correctly though.
    IP 192.168.1.50, 255.255.255.0 Route 192.168.1.1

@dlsayremn agin - I went through the services and had quite a few of them turned off. My desktop was booting slow and it seemed to speed it up for awhile. I remember doing that months ago. I went ahead and turned them back on. I think that was probably the major reason I had trouble to begin with.

I am back in business except for the wireless problem. I will research that and if I can't find the problem, I'll be back here for sure with a new thread. You guys know your stuff!!

Many thanks to dlsayremn and TerryNet for all your help!!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1075260

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice