1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] can't instal winxp pro or 98se

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by abba, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abba

abba Thread Starter

i formatted my hd. i went to instal xp pro from cd. but my pc keeps prompting for a floppy which i don't. so i insert my 98 se floppy then i get three option with cd support, without cd and a help option,all three end with same prompt , a file is missing or corrupt. asking to enter a file in the A> AM I Doing something wrong

2. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, XP install CD is bootable. If you go into your bios and change the sequence of the booting order from first floppy disk(A) to first CD. The cd will boot up and you can carry on from there.

To get into the bios I have to hold down del when the computer starts. It usually tells you what key in the left hand corner when you first switch on and it starts loading.

I found that my booting sequence was on the second window after the bios opening.

I hope this helps and after installing XP you have a choice of changing the booting sequence back to floppy disk or not. Floppies are sort of going out of use. Peace Mal

3. abba

abba Thread Starter

i tried changing the ops in bios to boot from my cd but i get the message that it is an invalid sys disk. if i try from my 98se floppy i keep getting the prompt that a common interpretor is missing and leaving me with only the promt A> i cant get it allow me to to anything , what ever i enter is unrecognised and leaves me @ A> please help

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Are you using an original Microsoft Windows XP CD or a copy?

The original CD should be bootable. If you did change your boot sequence and it's giving you that error, it's still trying to boot from the empty hard drive instead of the CD first.

5. mal1930

mal1930

HI, Brian is more knowledgeable than I am so hopefully he will be able to help you.

I suggest you go back in and check the bios again. Make sure that the CD is the first one and then they are in order with the floppy taking the rear place. You must save the changes for this to work. I am frightened of the bios and was trembling when I saved but everything worked out alright.

Check the bios again to see if you did it right. Peace Mal

6. Mustnged

Mustnged

Make sure not only to put the CD drive as first boot device, but also have the Windows XP CD in the drive and watch carefully because it will quickly prompt you to boot from hard disk, or boot from CD ROM. Make sure you tell it to boot from CD ROM. Remove any disks in your floppy drive as well.

7. jojomo

jojomo

if that xp pro is an upgrade version you will have to reinstall win 98 se. put your win 98 cd in the tray and do the following.
    (assuming you have set your dos partitions with fdisk)
    if your win 98 boot cd has ramdrive on it . it will move your cd drive letter up one ie: d: becomes e: . boot the pc with the boot disk in the floppy drive. choose start computer with cd rom support at the a: prompt type E: or whatever drive letter for your cdrom . at the E: prompt type "setup" without the quotation marks. after you have win 98 running restart your machine and put the xp cd in the tray and it will should take off.

8. abba

abba Thread Starter

thanks all. it ended up being too much for this comp. novice so i threw the pc off a bridge , just kidding . i ended up seeking professional help and we are all doing fine. 4 now

9. mal1930

mal1930

Hi, Most of us do that at one time or another. I never go into the box. I should have started it earlier but now it is too late. To hard to see.LOL Peace Mal

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

Guess it does not matter at this point, but you actually do not have to install Win 98 first in order to install the upgrade version of XP (Home or Pro). During the installation you will be prompted to put the Win 98 disc in the tray so that it can verify you are eligible for an upgrade.

If BIOS is set to boot from CD first, you will be able to delete and recreate partitions and then install XP

wrs

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!