Solved: Can't install anything, Error 1606

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chaos

When I attempt to install (or even update) most things, I get the following error:

"Error 1606. Could not access the network location %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\.

This is what that section of my registry looks like:

I can see its not there, but I'm not sure how to remedy the problem! I searched and read through the other threads on this problem, but they all seemed to have different error messages or registry names, and I was unable to solve my problem using their answers.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!

Chaos

I saw that one, except that the filenames/folders are different, so I don't know how to make it apply to the situation I'm having...

Thanks though.

The important thing is that wherever a path to MY Documents is shown, it is preceded either by your User Name or by the variable %UserProfile%

The path should be from the root (normally c:) directory or have the variable %systemdrive% or %systemroot%

You also want to ensure that the User Account (Profile) you are installing from has Administrative Rights.

If you see anything that does not look like it comports with that let me know what key it is in.

Chaos

There is only one profile on this computer...

I don't see anything in the registry about "My Documents", the only thing I see is "My Pictures".

Is it just me or is the thing not in the registry period?

Does the Profile have Administrative rights?

Is the computer networked?

And when did this problem first crop up -- were there any changes or tweaks to settings that involved My Documents?

You could probably work around this by creating another User Account, giving it Administrative rights, and then logging in under it.

Also if the setup programs are being run from within My Documents, you could try copying them to a folder on the root drive and running it from there.

Chaos

One profile, administrator, no networking.

However, something interesting I noticed.

I opened explorer to look for the My Documents folder on the C:\ drive.... it's gone. In fact, I see it, it's been renamed, to "%s's Documents".

Inside this folder is the normal folders, My Music, My Pictures, etc.

Is it possible this folder got renamed and thats whats causing the errors?

I've tried to rename it back but I can't, theres no option to rename it... Strange?

Right-clicking on any other folder has a "rename" option but not this one.

What do I do?

The My Documents folder should be under

C:\Documents and Settings\%UserProfile%\My Documents

where %UserProfile% is your User Name.

As far as I can tell it is renameable.

Is that the path where you are finding this?

You might try creating a new My Documents folder in the correct path and copying all the files and folders in the old one to it. Don't try to "move" them though, this can cause issues if the renamed one has a different security identifier.

Chaos

Didn't work =/

I have the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew\My Documents

But I still get the:

Error 1606. Could not access the network location %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\

message.

Chaos

Problem solved via this solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;886549

It helps you reset all your registry keys back to default.

My problems were it said:

%SystemDrive%\My Documents\My Pictures
instead of
%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures

and

Personal REG_SZ %USERPROFILE%\My Documents
was supposed to be
Personal REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\My Documents

and various others. I tried installing my apps now and they work absolutely fine. Thanks to all who helped with this problem.

I hadn't seen that particular MS article, good find. But that's basically what we covered, or tried to, in some of the previous posts.

This is what caused the error:

%SystemDrive%\My Documents\My Pictures

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online