1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cant install linux mint 10

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by dskittsjr, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dskittsjr

dskittsjr Thread Starter

the cd I bought is designed to let the computer boot off of it long enough to install the operating system. the computer I have is a compaq evo desktop and has nothing on the hard drive. i bought it from a blind and deaf charity organization off of ebay where they have to erase everything so you cant pull anything off the computer from the previous owner. originally the computer was booting off the cd for a short time and would show the desktop even. but then it would stop spinning the cd in the drive after a while and the computer would do just nothing at all. so I kept having to restart the computer by holding the power button. over and over again. linux never got installed. now when I try to boot the cd it doesnt even reach the desktop. is there something Im doing wrong. does anyone know what I am suppossed to do? Ive been waiting for this computer for so long and now it wont work so I feel bad. I just want to have a computer of my own. if I dont boot off the cd the computer says error 22 and does nothing. I dont have a windows xp disk. please tell me what to do. maybe I have to make a partition or something. also [email protected] in compatibility mode tells me everything fails due to no user id. which it didnt used to happen.:confused:

2. dskittsjr

dskittsjr Thread Starter

P.S. this is my first time using linux mint 10 gnome

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi and Welcome,
    Can you clarify please... can you get the Mint disc to run at all even for a short time? Does that machine have USB slots?
    Where are you posting to this forum at the moment? Do you have another PC / laptop?

Thanks
    Richard

4. arochester

arochester

Check that the disk is clean. A thumb print can stop things

Check that the CD-Rom is clean. Do you have a CD lens cleaner?

Make sure that the disk is good quality. CD-Roms can be picky and one CD might work, while another doesn't.

Does the CD work in another computer? Richard asks if the machine has USB slots - it is possible to install from a USB stick.

How much RAM memory does the computer have?

5. dskittsjr

dskittsjr Thread Starter

:confused:Thank you so much for replying to my post. cd rom runs cd long enough it gets to the black screen that has LINUx MINT and 5 dots under it loading. then does nothing. I am not at my comp right now. On a different pc in different city. but have you seen this thing before? and I dont have the disk with me so I cant try it on a different computer. and yes it does have usb slots unfortunately It does not have anything to put in them. I have the basic items to run a computer. monitor keyboard computer speakers. broke my mouse. ethernet cable.

6. dskittsjr

dskittsjr Thread Starter

I found a usb flash drive and I found a cd that says its a cd rom cleaner. Im going to take these home and see what I can do. thanks guys.

7. TeDiouSish

TeDiouSish

Hi,

Do you know the hardware specs? Video card, Processor, Amount of RAM

And for the CD-ROM, do you know what the model is?(maybe some numbers off the front of it?)

8. dskittsjr

dskittsjr Thread Starter

someone told me to use puppy linux which uses less RAM. I only had 256mb of RAM and mint requires more. Now my computer is working. Thanks for the replys!

9. TeDiouSish

TeDiouSish

I used that distro for quite some time. Worked very well for what I needed to do. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!