1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cant install operating system as it cant find my hard drive!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xxjonahxx, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

i have just swapped a 10 gig hard drive from one pc to another...
    the 10 gig drive used to be in my portable usb hard drive case. which i then used as a portable hard drive.
    i formatted said portable drive on windows xp.
    i have just decided to put the drive into a different pc.
    however when booting from my setup/operating system cd's
    i get a message telling my the drive cannot be found.
    obviously i have checked all the connections a few times.
    im wondering if maybe i have lost some data on the drive when i formatted it?
    or any other ideas and helpfull info woulld be most appreciated

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

How is it jumpered . . most boards prefer Cable Select with the boot drive at the end connector.

wrs

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Does the bios see the drive?

4. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

can you explain how to find out if it sees it aca?
    i wouldnt know how to expalin how it was jumpered!

5. ~Candy~

When the computer first starts up, there is a key to press to access the bios setup. Most often it's DEL, F1, F2, Compaqs F10 to access the setup area.

Also, how do you have the drive connected in this computer? On a cable by itself or on a cable with another drive?

6. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

the drive is connected via the cable into the motherboard blue port and the 2 cables one large and one small one inside the computer. i will check the bios like you said....

7. ~Candy~

Is there another drive on the same cable with it, or is it by itself on the cable that connects to the blue port?

8. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

its by itself

9. ~Candy~

Ok, it should be jumpered as MASTER. There are markings on the drive that tell you how to do this.

Also, have we seen it in the bios setup yet?

10. Old Rich

Old Rich

See this for a directions on jumper settings . . It is for an IBM drive, but all are similar.

wrs

11. hammerbill

hammerbill

In case the other suggestions don't work...
    Some motherboard CMOS's will autodetect a hdd and then permanantly revert to "user" settings to lock the hard drive in. The next HDD that is installed to that board is gonna stay at the last HDD settings until the detection utility is set to auto again. The result is a not detected HDD.
    Enter CMOS (aka setup) by pressing whatever the boot screen prompts you (often "del") and enter the graphical interface. Study the legend on how to move around or select "help". Find your hard disc settings usually in the first group of options and set them all to auto. Save and exit. If you need more elaboration, we will be around to help.

12. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

ive entered the biops screens and cannot find details of the drive anywhere! i shll check the jumpers are set to master now and post back!

13. ~Candy~

In the bios, also look for IDE controllers ---- they should be set to ENABLED.

14. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

i may see the problem...i think i am going mad...it looks to me like the blue end of the jumper cable does not fit into the blue port on the motherboard!!! this makes no sense whatsoever as this is the cable that was in the pc when i bought it anyway!....the trial continues!

15. ~Candy~

That is next to impossible. Turn it the other way around. It should be notched. Most motherboards have 2 places for it to plug into.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice