1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cant install operating system as it cant find my hard drive!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xxjonahxx, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

on closer inspection i notice that one end of the cable is not fitting onto the plug/port..the other end fits like a glove...perhaps the tiny pins arte slightly out of line?
    if this is the case...what can i do from here!?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Very, very carefully try to straighten the bent pin(s). DO NOT break them. I use a small screwdriver or letter opener. You can also try to start from the bent side first, line those up and gently ease the other side into the slot.

3. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

ok here it goes!...im very scared of doing this but i guess nothings gonna happen if i dont!

4. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

jeez the missalignment must be so minute i can narely see it and cos of the way the innards of my pc are set up its hard to see.
    needless to say im having no luck!

5. ~Candy~

Then put the pins on the problem side on first, and gently fit the cable over the other side.

I hope you have the computer off, correct?

6. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

wooohoo...all is good right now..upon booting it even automatically updated to allow for the new drive....im going through the motions now starting the windows setup....ill see if it is detected there!...

7. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

hey, everthing is fine hardware wise now....
    i do have another slight problem...
    im installing windows and about 10 minutes into the installation it stops being able to fnd the files it needs..ive sat and canceled the instalation of each one manually as i cant do it to all of them at once...ive been clicking for some time now and im worried i wil lbe missing important files....
    i would take the cd out to inspect it or try one of my other setup discs but the cd player wont eject...also when looking for the cd drive or dvd drive i have when browsing to look for the files the install program needs the drives show up but i cant access either of them. it is most bizzare as the instalaltion has gotten about 2/3 of the way through b4 this problem!!!

8. ~Candy~

Is it an original Windows cd? If the install stops, you have no choice but to reboot, at which time you should be able to remove the cd from the drive.

I have no clue what you are talking about regarding the browsing on the cd or dvd drive :confused:

9. hammerbill

hammerbill

I didn't catch which version of windows that was. There are several causes why this may happen. Inspect your disc. Is it scratched? Is it a copy/backup that may have been poorly burned?
    Here is another thing that can do exactly that-and few people would ever suspect it. Did you know that bad or mismatched memory will cause cab file extractions to stop right in the middle of the setup file transfer process? Neither did I until it happened to me. It says it in the win ME setup readme along with a few other possible causes. I had this happen several times in a row-the setup would stop midway through the file transfer process even though the CD was perect Then I replaced the memory modules and setup went fine.

10. xxjonahxx

xxjonahxx Thread Starter

hey i have managed to fix it all..i rebooted the installation and all works fine and dandy so far!....thanx a lot guys

11. ~Candy~

:confused:

Ok, whatever worked.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice