Solved: Can't install printer drivers!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Totalrod2

I'm trying to install the driver for my HP Photosmart 1215 using the download from HP's website. But when I run the exe file to install it, I get an error window which reads:
"There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk0\DR0. I click on "continue" or cancel and this window appears:

My next step was to download the "iomdisk.reg" patch on HP's website which is supposed to correct any driver installation problems. I tried downloading the driver a second time, and got the same results....nothing.
I'm not sure why this won't install, but I should probably mention these 2 things:
1- I'm using a Sata harddrive (Western Digital model WD2500KS)
2- I installed a multi USB disk drive:
In addition I have a floppy, CD-rom, and Iomega zip. This has (by default) placed my harddrive at i:\ instead of c:\. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. I just need to get my printer working. Can anyone help me?
Bryan

Totalrod2

BTW, don't be fooled by the "Dell 420 Precision" tower. This is a new computer! I recycled the old case because it's built like a tank.
SPECIFICATIONS:
Motherboard: Gigabyte M61P-S3 (S-Series)
Memory: DDRII (4GB)
Harddrive Western Digital WD2500KS (250GB)
CD-Rom: LG Model GSA-H42L (Super Multi DVD rewriter)
Floppy: NEC
Zip: I-Omega model # Z100ATAPI
Graphics Card: ATI Visiontek model: X1550
CPU: AMD Athlon 64X2 (dual core) 5600+
Audio Card: SoundBlaster-Live! Model CT4780
Operating System: Windows XP SP2

you have a sleeper system lol

anyway, i would say that its either due to the sata drive (unlikely)
or the fact that windows is on I drive (more likely)
how bad would it be to reinstall?
only disconnect the extra drives before installing, then reconnect the extra drives after install.

Totalrod2

A sleeper! That's a nice way of putting it...I like it.:) You've got decent setup too I see. This is probably going to seem like a stupid question, but do you mean reinstall Windows XP? I've already reinstalled it twice because of other issues and I don't want to do it again unless it's absolutely necessary. Please let me know if that's what you're suggesting and I'll give it a try (again).
Bryan

This is happening because setup is trying to install the printer to C drive. Change that to "I" drive and it should be fine or as suggested reinstall XP by removing all but the main drive and that way it will be "C".

Totalrod2

Rich, unfortunately it doesn't give me an option of where to install the driver (if it did, I'd obviously choose i:\). But here's the thing I'm concerned about, before I go through all the hassle of yet another reinstall:
Will Windows know to reassign that drive as C? I attached a screenshot of the way my disk drives are assigned. Notice there's no B drive. So it seems that my CD-Rom would become C and the harddrive would become D. What do you think? Of course if I disconnect everything except the CD-Rom and harddrive, then maybe it will force the harddrive to become "C". I have no idea. It seems like a game of chance to me. You have more knowledge in this than myself. Please let me know everything you think I should disconnect before the reinstall.
Bryan

Attachments

Totalrod2

I should've asked this before, but do I have to do a clean install or a repair install?
Bryan

did you download the full software package or just the driver install package from HP???
if you downloaded the full software package from HP-- it wont even ask you to manually
insert the usb cable until Stage 3 of 4.
when you open the installer click that you want to do the advance install.
I know most times the normal/typical install is recommended,
but this time you need to click either advanced or custom install
after you agree to the terms and all the legal crap it will go through what features you want to
install.
here is the part to play close attention to.-- when it ask you what file folder location you want to install the HP components to---see if you can manually change C:/ to I:/
if you can't click browse and pick ( I:/ ) drive from the drop-down menu.

the file folder location will have a long name
something like
C:/ username/program files/...........
leave the long name alone. all you have to change is the first letter.
C to I
if click browse. you will see documents and a bunch of other folders in a vertical (tree)
if you open it up.
scroll down until you see something like--
I:/ program files

Rich, unfortunately it doesn't give me an option of where to install the driver (if it did, I'd obviously choose i:\). But here's the thing I'm concerned about, before I go through all the hassle of yet another reinstall:
Will Windows know to reassign that drive as C? I attached a screenshot of the way my disk drives are assigned. Notice there's no B drive. So it seems that my CD-Rom would become C and the harddrive would become D. What do you think? Of course if I disconnect everything except the CD-Rom and harddrive, then maybe it will force the harddrive to become "C". I have no idea. It seems like a game of chance to me. You have more knowledge in this than myself. Please let me know everything you think I should disconnect before the reinstall.
Bryan
A:// and B:// are reserved for Floppy drives (some legacy thing)

i know it sounds risky, but itll work, trust me :D

i had this trouble when i installeed XP WITH Vista.

those removable drives are the problem. if you remove those, and reinstall it should be good to go. also disconnect the dvd ram drive, that appears to be an issue also.

tells you how crappy the HP drivers are if they cant even tell if the system drive is not C:// :D

and yeah, a clean install

(edited about 5 times lol, i keep seeing new things :D)

uh,
don't hp's drivers need to ne 'extracted' before installation?
you download them,
extract them, [click the .exe],
the app asks you to insert the floppy to put them on,
it puts them onto the floppies, [usually anywhere from 3 - 6 or so],
let it finish,
then run the installation from the floppies by inserting the floppy,
open it, click the .exe there,
and keep inserting the disks as it asks for them,

I should've asked this before, but do I have to do a clean install or a repair install?
Bryan
Definitely a clean install to change drive letters. As said here remove everything that is a drive except the main hard drive and all should be well.

uh,
don't hp's drivers need to ne 'extracted' before installation?
you download them,
extract them, [click the .exe],
the app asks you to insert the floppy to put them on,
it puts them onto the floppies, [usually anywhere from 3 - 6 or so],
let it finish,
then run the installation from the floppies by inserting the floppy,
open it, click the .exe there,
and keep inserting the disks as it asks for them,
I have both a HP PSC 1610v and a HP Photosmart C5280 All in One
to install no (A) drive diskette was required.
no inserting 4 to 5 disks.
no way :rolleyes: that's antique way.
even windows no longer ask to install on (A) drive diskette
:eek::D

the guys are having you reinstall windows to fix your whole computer.
less hassle down the road with other programs if windows is installed on the (C) drive.

but if you want to leave windows on your (I) drive----
I'm telling you you can change the file folder install location to (I) instead of (C)

you just need to install custom or advanced.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online