Solved: Can't install SP2 on XP Home

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sinsation

We're having problems getting SP2 to install correctly on my fiance's XP Home machine. It installs and when it goes to reboot it brings up the safe mode screen with the choices. No matter which option we chose, it reboots and goes right back to that screen. The only option is to boot to safe mode, which it does fine, and uninstall SP2 before the computer will boot normally. The XP Home was installed from a backup disk that was created when the computer was first bought as a refurbished Compaq. His previous motherboard which was the same as mine (Gigabyte K8NS) was able to be upgraded to SP2 just fine.

We've tried it from my disk that I got from MS a while back, as well as downloading it through MS updates.

Any suggestions?

Gigabyte K8NSC-939 (tried updating chipset drivers, and nada)
Athlon64 3000+
1GB Ram

If you have installed XP "from a recovery disk" that does not now match the motherboard (that is implied in your post but unclear perhaps) then unless both motherboards are identical you will have problems.

Reinstall Windows with a real copy of XP, not an image from another motherboard install?

And if that is not the case . . look on your manufacturers website for any patches they have ito fix ssues for SP2 . . . Dell had some for Prescott issues . . Compaq may also

sinsation

kiwiguy said:
If you have installed XP "from a recovery disk" that does not now match the motherboard (that is implied in your post but unclear perhaps) then unless both motherboards are identical you will have problems.

Reinstall Windows with a real copy of XP, not an image from another motherboard install?
It wasn't a mirror copy really. The backups were created using HP's built in 1-time use OS backup utility program. We had to call some HP rep to have them "slipstream" something into the computer so the OS would function with the new hardware. *shrugs*

Was a really weird process if you ask me. Maybe I'll just have him give them a call again.

//edit
I took the 2nd comment into consideration and found a few drivers/programs of HP's incompatable with SP2 which have downloadable updates that need to be ran prior to installing SP2. Hope those work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts