Solved: Can't install Vista

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Flashback

Trying to install Vista on a new hard drive but the install seems to be hanging 3/4 of the way through...

It copies the files, expands them, installs them, reboots, shows the "one moment while vista starts for the first time" message, and then goes to the screen shown below where it seems to hang for hours on end...

This can't be 'normal' can it? :confused:

I have seen it take literally hours for Vista to install. How long have you waited? Does there appear to be even slight hard drive activity during this?

Make/model?

What was there before? How large is the drive? What size partitions did you create?

Flashback

I have waited around 2 1/2 hours, maybe more. It's a Dell 1720 laptop with a 320 gig hard drive. It did not give the option to partition, just format. The first time I tried to install the screen went black after around 3 hours and stayed black for at least an hour, at which point I formatted and tried to reinstall it again. I see no harddrive activity. I just can't believe it installs so poorly like this... :(

The option to partition should be there. Are you booting from the DVD? Just at the point where formatting is an option, you also have the option of removing all current partitions so that the drive is unallocated. Then you can create a new partition that you will be sure is intact.

Are you formatting NTFS?

Make sure that all unneeded hardware is disconnected. No USB devices, printers, or even unneeded drives should be attached during the installation. Add hardware later.

Flashback

Are you formatting NTFS?
It only says "Format".

I made a 20 Gig partition and will try to install into that. I can always resize afterward once it's installed. 20 gigs should be big enough to install vista into. Fingers crossed... third times a charm...

Flashback

I found out by using Ubuntu that it was formatted in NTFS.

However, after the screen went black I left it running hoping that something was still being installed in the background, but after 12 hours of black screen I was forced to shut it down :(

I tried two different hard drives, both with the same exact behavior when installing. All of the install files get copied over and it reboots and says "one moment while vista starts for the first time" - then it goes downhill from there, eventually the screen goes black....

What could possibly be causing this? :confused: :(

Can I use another computer to install vista on the hard drive, and then transplant the hard drive back into the laptop? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated...

Flashback

I did a LOT of research on this and found that some of dells computers, like the 1720, is famous for having these install problems. Another reason why I will NOT buy another dell ever again. They knew it had these issues and pushed their product to market (n) Sorry, but not the kind of company I want to support :(

To solve this issue you need to make a SATA drivers CD and load the drivers before you install vista, even though vista already has these drivers included...

Thanks for following up. That solution is maddening if needed. But you have to do what you have to do, I guess. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online