1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't install Windows Installer 3.0 as Administrator

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by brookdale, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brookdale

brookdale Thread Starter

Logged on a Windows 2000 SP4 workstation as Administrator (either domain or local) I get the following error message when initiating setup of the MS Windows Installer 3.0 (or 3.1):

Setup Error:
    You do not have permission to update Windows 2000. Pls contact your system administrator.

Downloaded from MS site: WindowsInstaller-KB884016-v2-x86.exe
    MS documentation indicates that it is supported by Windows 2000 sp4.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advanced.

2. Curly

Curly

Logging in as Administrator in a domain does not necessarily mean that you have permissions to install software.

3. brookdale

brookdale Thread Starter

I've never had a problem successfully installing anything on this workstation as local or domain Administrator. Why is this particular install any different?

4. brookdale

brookdale Thread Starter

After spending a few more hours searching on the web :confused:, I came across a forum that discussed in detail about this issue.:eek:

:cool:Suggested fix: Local Security settings, (run secpol.msc). Go to Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment\Backup Files and Directories\

Add the Administrator accounts (domain and/or local).
    Log out and log back in as Administrator to take effect.:rolleyes:

I was able to install Windows installer 3.0 successfully!(y)
    Hope this helps anyone that has this problem. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/849423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice