1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Install Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by PleaseKillMe, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PleaseKillMe

PleaseKillMe Thread Starter

Hey, so my computer had Windows XP, and I wanted to format it, and afterwards, Install XP again.

So I format my Computer using the XP Installation CD. I then proceded to install Windows XP again, but I couldn't.

During the Installation many errors would show up, that some files are missing I believe?

So unable to install XP, I went ahead and installed Ubuntu 11.04, from an old CD I had laying around for such an emergency.
    So that made things a little more complicated.

My HDD is not identified as NTFS now, and I can't even TRY to install XP again. I know there are ways to change the format of the HDD to NTFS again, using the terminal, but I am too inexperienced for something like that.

My XP cd is genuine, it came with the computer when I bought it some years ago.

What do you suggest?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Are you referring to this netbook or to a different computer?

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of the computer that you're trying to install Windows XP in?

---------------------------------------------------------

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ubuntu either includes a partition manager such as GParted or you can install one. So, boot to the Ubuntu Live CD ("trial" or "try" instead of "install") and format the partition as NTFS.

4. Pentium1996

Pentium1996

Does it come with a recovery partition?

5. PleaseKillMe

PleaseKillMe Thread Starter

Hey, sorry for taking that long to reply people, been sick as hell.

So, No the computer I'm trying to install Windows XP in, is not the netbook mentioned.
    It is a desktop computer, it doesn't have a model number (?) , I just bought every part seperetly and put it together, it used to run XP though.

I've already tried GParted, for the time being, as soon as I open it, it crashed, it just doesn't launch :/

I will try formatting the HDD into NTFS through the Ubuntu Live CD, and then install XP through a multibootable USB. If that doesn't work, I'll post back with the results, until then, Thank you, and keep it real.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!