Solved: can't install XP home

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sckrem

I put in the restore CD I format it everything is working good. After formated it tell me that was a success. Then it tells me to remore the disk form A but I don't have anything in A. it is D with the CD. Ok if I take out the CD then it gives me an error. If I leave it in then the process starts all over again. window sets up again. tell me to format the partition. It only has one partition. It keeps ging in a circle. It will not load windows. it won't take the next step to load windows xp home

Thanks

sckrem

Also I have no problem installing linux. I put that in just to see if it would install

Hiya,your boot order in Bios is set to Cd-rom as first boot,if not this must be perfomed

First Name
SUE
to install windows xp home or pro the bios has to be set to boot from a cd. u put the disk in and since its a dell u tap F12 it will say boot order. u set it to boot from a cd then u will see it say press any key to boot from the cd hit enter and go from there.do not remove the disk until its all installed and u see the screen saver pix which shows the recycle bin and all of your programs etc. then its safe to remove the disk and go from there.as far as formatting the partition when u reinstall u have to delete the partition and start fresh otherwise u will install windows on top of an excisting system.if u are doing it right it will say new raw etc etc.then it will ask u do u want to install on this. more than likely it will be installed on your c drive.hope this helps u.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online