1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't install XP on new build; STOP 0x000000B error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JimDean, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimDean

JimDean Thread Starter

Not sure if I should put this in the XP forum or here. But anyways, I just finished building a new PC. Using the same hard drives from my old build. Put in the XP SP3 disc to install, but I got a blue screen with the 0x000000B error. Went into BIOS, changed SATA to IDE and it seemed to work. Installed like normal until the reboot. After it reboots and says the installation will continue after it starts up again, it just goes to the loading XP screen and then another blue stop screen.

I've tried installing it three times now, but I always end up at a blue screen after the reboot. I've run chkdsk in the repair console and it says that it has found an error, but doesn't say what it is or how to fix it. I'm at a loss.

Here are my specs:
    Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro
    CPU: Intel i7 2600k
    GPU: EVGA GTX570

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should test both the RAM and HDD. Use Memtest86+ to test the RAM: http://www.memtest.org/ And download and run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics on the drive.

Also, you you didn't say whether you deleted the existing partitions and reformatted the drive or if you are repairing the previous installation of Windows. You may have to completely wipe the drive and start clean.

Lastly, how much RAM do you have in this system? It seems that it will be heavily restricted running an older O/S such as Windows XP, Windows 7 would be suited much better to the hardware.

3. JimDean

JimDean Thread Starter

Guess XP couldn't handle my hardware. Went out and got Windows 7 yesterday. Installed it and everything seems fine now. Thanks for the advice.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    That's good to hear (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice