1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Solved: Can't load windows, computer repeatedly repairs and reboots.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by agent_washingtub, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agent_washingtub

agent_washingtub Thread Starter

My computer froze and rebooted, and now won't boot windows at all. When I start the computer, one of two things happens. The dell logo appears, and either the circle loading thing comes up and stays there, or it says is is auto repairing. If it auto repairs, it says its scanning and repairing the drive, this is all in white writing on black background, no part of windows has loaded. After that, the computer will reboot , and it will say that it is diagnosing the problem. Either it will stay on that screen, or it comes to a black screen and says no boot device available, press F1 to retry boot, press F2 to run the setup menu.. When I looked at each SATA connection on the menu, I noticed that one of my hard drives (the one containing windows) does not appear on the list. I assumed this meant a hardware issue, so I tried changing the SATA port, as well as the cable. Note that at this point, I ruled out a motherboard SATA port issue and cable issue by trying them each with my second hard drive. Each sata port works, each cable is working and the hard drive (the one with windows) is turning on and getting power. I have since removed the hard drive in question, and used a SATA/USB adapter and ran it as an external hard drive on my laptop. The drive is booting correctly, and I can access the files in it without a problem occurring. So the evidence is as follows

-When I boot either a repair runs and fails or runs and brings me to some menu, or it just loads indefinitely
    -When I get to the menu and look at each SATA port the hard drive does not appear.
    -The hard drive works when run as second hard drive on different computer.
    -All SATA Ports and cables and power cables have been verified through second hard drive and are working.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Is this an OEM computer with Windows 8 pre-installed
    EDIT seen now it is a Dell - please post FULL model details
    If so it is UEFI firmware which may be consider the BIOS but instead of Basic Input Output System it is the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

So at this time the other question is -
    to which menu do you refer a traditional BIOS or the UEFI

On UEFI the boot device is NOT the hard drive it is Windows Boot Manager

If that gets you no further try this it works on many OEM computers with windows 8 pre-installed
    restart the computer and press the power button before the Windows logo appears to trigger another restart. Do this three times. This will start the Windows Recovery Environment. Choose Troubleshoot. Now choose Startup Settings (if you don't see this look in Advanced Settings) and choose Restart, then select Safe mode.

Or if Safe Mode does not work in advanced settings go to cmd prompt and post back when you have that

3. agent_washingtub

I was unable to press the button to restart, either the computer would immediately shut down, or one press of the button did nothing and I was only able to hold it down to hard shut down.
    Follow the link to see photos I took of the problem occurring. http://imgur.com/a/rVpJW
    Photos 1 to 6 and 7 to 9 show two separate boots, neither reaching to windows.
    After photo 9, the computer reboots and returns to either photo 1 or 7.
    Photo 5 shows the menu I mentioned, showing the computer specs. If there are any others you need,
    I'll need direction of how to find.

At this point I'm wondering if there's a way I could format and reinstall windows through my laptop.
    If its a software problem that should solve it, plus I have already backed up my files on to my laptop.

Also, thanks for your time. Very much appreciated.

4. Macboatmaster

On the UEFI - BIOS menu
    select - the tab - boot
    what is there please

5. agent_washingtub

6. Macboatmaster

and what options are offered for first boot device please - by selecting it and then pressing enter normally
    No need to send another image
    UEFI systems boot from a FAT partition on the hard drive
    Normally you are looking for Windows Boot Manager
    OS Boot Manager
    EFi boot

Here are some examples
    https://www.winhelp.us/computer-boot-order.html

In respect of the POWER button restart
    To get to Windows Start-up Settings in the Windows Recovery Environment

If you can't start (boot) your PC, follow these instructions to get to the Windows Recovery Environment. You'll need to connect a keyboard to complete the steps.

1. Do one of the following, depending on whether you have installation media (such as a DVD or USB flash drive):
      • If you have installation media for Windows 8.1, start (or boot) your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to "Press any key to boot from DVD", do so. If you can’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the DVD or USB. When you see the Install Windows page, tap or click Repair your computer to start the Windows Recovery Environment.
      • If you don’t have installation media, use the power button to restart your computer three times. This will start the Windows Recovery Environment.

If the above does not get you anywhere
    try the F11 or F12 key immediately on post to access ONE time Boot menu
    You are looking for the same - Windows boot manager etc.

If all that is no good and you have NO recovery drive - created and no image then I will when you reply send you the instructions to create a Windows 8.1 install/repair DVD

7. Macboatmaster

I have just noticed that on your posted image the boot device is listed as
    Internal HDD devices
    There will be another place to select WHICH Internal hard drive

8. agent_washingtub

Sorry, HD was unplugged in photo.
    Under 1st Boot Device it is now labeled [UEFI: sT1000DM003-1...]
    Options after I press enter are:
    U

9. agent_washingtub

USB Floppy Device
    UEFI: ST1000DM003-1CH162
    USB Storage Device
    Internal ODD Devices
    Onboard NIC Device
    Disabled

10. Macboatmaster

If that Sony HD was connected before that is the reason the repair will not work as your Windows repair/refresh cannot recognise it - in the refresh procedure.
    EDIT misread your last see now it is not Sony it was SORRY
    - my apologies

HOW MANY INTERNAL hard drives are there please If there is more than ONE unless it is a RAID setup disconnect OTHER than the system drive

Now that the first boot device is the UEFI is the behaviour any different
    and please see my last regarding this three power button start

You have not yet posted me the full model details of the Dell

and on POST screen is there - press for boot options key

11. Macboatmaster

Re the last seen it is an Insprion660

ON post is there Boot Options F12

Also
    Is that situation still the same OR is that the Seagate drive
    ST1000DM003-1CH162

the Barracuda 1TB

12. Macboatmaster

How are you doing and is the laptop also windows 8 and the same bit
    eg if this 64 bit what is the laptop

Here is what I have been trying to explain re the three restarts
    Shut down the computer
    Power On the system
    Power Off the system at Dell Logo with “rolling dots” at the bottom of the screen
    Repeat the above steps 2-3 times
    Click ‘Troubleshoot’

[​IMG]

Choose Refresh your PC.

[​IMG]

Click the Next button at the Reset your PC and start over step of the wizard.

[​IMG]

13. agent_washingtub

Sorry, I had to watch my nephew for a bit. Let me reread your last posts and I will get back to you soon.
    Also, yes the 1tb seagate is the one containing windows, which was not showing up when this problem started. I have 2 internal hard drives, the 2nd is now disconnected. Both the laptop and pc have windows 8 64 bit, both were pre installed before purchase. Not the same copy of windows (they have different product keys)

14. Macboatmaster

If they were pre installed systems - YOU DO Not have a product key licence key it is embedded in firmware

If you can get no further with all that I have posted - go to the laptop
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

DO NOT copy the recovery partition to the USB drive

Come back to the Dell and boot from the recovery drive you should then be able to access Command prompt

Post back if you get that far.

I will then when I return about 1800 UK time try and guide you through the cmd prompt.

YOU may also go here
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

It does not matter that you download that on the laptop BUT it is vital that you configure the download for WHAT is on the desktop NOT the laptop

Download the ISO image and make the DVD using the ISO burner software on the laptop

If you are unsure as to how I will again guide you through this when I return.

ONE way or another - we will sort it

I will wait 30minutes in case you have a query but then I am signing off

15. agent_washingtub

I have a USB recovery drive, no option to load from it on startup. I changed boot order to put USB first still no change.

As for the restart 2-3 times heres what happened

Power On the system
    reach Dell Logo with “rolling dots” at the bottom of the screen
    Power Off the system
    Power On the system
    reach Dell Logo with writing underneath "Preparing Automatic Repair"
    Power Off the system

This becomes a loop. Also, if I wait after the Preparing Automatic Repair screen, screen goes completely black and nothing else happens. I have waiting at this point for over an hour when I first started troubleshooting, thinking maybe something was loading.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice