1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Log In To Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Michael-, Dec 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Michael-

Michael- Thread Starter

Few days ago my computer stopped letting me log in. Running Windows XP Home Edition. Custom built machine. I start up my computer and it gets to the Classic Log On Screen. I type in my password, it accepts it. "Loading your information" appears, I wait less than 5 seconds and windows logs me off automatically.

I know its not a virus, I scanned hard drive for virus on another computer.

I run a business with that computer so formatting it is not an option. I have backed up my information but I know I can't back up my programs. I have Quick Books Pro 2009, Microsoft Office Professional 2007 and other expensive software.

2. tomsxp

tomsxp

This solution might or might not work for everyone but it did for me. (I am assuming that your Windows installation is in C:\Windows) Enter to your Windows emergency recovery console via ur boot menu. If you dont have it, then you need to boot with your Windows CD. To do that, some bioses let you press [F8] when u see the post screen to pick boot media or just go into Bios and change boot order so you boot from the CD first. Once you get to the first menu, press R for recovery console. Pick the OS you want to boot in (usually C:\windows), and enter your administrator password. If you don't have one or can't remember if you do, just hit [enter]. Then, once you get the C:\Windows> prompt, (I am assuming that your CD drive is letter E, but change to your CD drive letter accordingly) type:"EXPAND E:\i386\userinit.ex_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32" without the quotes and it doesn't have to be in caps. This should put a fresh copy of userinit.exe into your windows installation. After this just type EXIT and hit [enter] and you will reboot automatically and hopefully you will be on your way back to your precious desktop

3. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If the above doesn't work, boot back into the Recovery Console and type the following:
    CD System32
    copy userinit.exe
    wsaupdater.exe

The wsaupdater malware may have already been deleted, but it managed to change the Userinit key in the registry. Now that it's deleted, you can't logon.

If that allows you to log on, you need to edit the registry to restore the correct value for Userinit
    This key:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Should have the following value for Userinit:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,
    The comma on the end is supposed to be there.

You can always boot with a Vista/Win7 Disk to check the registry entry. If you don't have one, a Vista RE disk can be downloaded from one of these links:
    Vista Recovery Environment CD
    64 bit Vista
    32 bit Vista

4. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

I have had this happen and did as tomsxp posted (let it load- don,t get scared- you are not formating- hit "R" for repair - and it will fix your logon - and you will not loose Quick Books or any of your programs. )

5. Michael-

Michael- Thread Starter

Well I have a new issue for the same computer. I can't press R to load the Recovery Console. I can't even press enter or anything. Hitting Ctrl + Alt + Del doesn't restart computer either. I have to turn it of by holding down the power button.

6. Freemorrison

Freemorrison

Oh boy- so let me get this right, it still turns on- goes to log on screen - you type in password - 5 mins later- shazam- it logs you off. And if you put in your XP disk - it loads- but now you have no keyboard ? And you are unable to hit "R" to enter the recovery console? Is that right? Have you recently ran one of those driver update programs, or have you recently installed new net framework? If you have, try this, take the xp disk out, power up, when it gets to the logon screen, do not type anything, just hit "ENTER"

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

If a USB Keyboard:
    Enter the BIOS and make sure Legacy USB support is enabled, This will also let you see if the keyboard works in the BIOS.
    If your PC has a PS/2 keyboard port, try a PS/2 keyboard.

Is this a wireless keyboard? If so, try using a wired keyboard.

You can also try a Vista/Win 7 DVD if you have one, they have much better USB support, and you can edit the registry, so you can fix the Userinit key and don't have to rename the Userinit.exe file.
    If you don't have access to one, a Vista RE disk can be downloaded from one of these links:
    Vista Recovery Environment CD
    64 bit Vista
    32 bit Vista

See this post for info:
    Looping Login Fix, Recovery Console or Vista/Win7 DVD, Vista RE CD

8. Michael-

Michael- Thread Starter

I am downloading the RE CDs

Recovery Console is working now.

new issue:
    Administrator Password?

There is only one account in this computer, and typing in that password doesn't let me in.

Is there any other ways around the password?

I am downloading the CD's at the moment.

Thank you in advanced for your suggestion.

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

What did you do that got the keyboard working so you could get to the Recovery Console? Might help others with the same problem.

If the Administrator account doesn't have a password (which is common), just press Enter.

If that doesn't work, the rules won't let us help you get around it.

The RE disk won't require a password though.

10. Lance1

Lance1

If you can't access the recovery console because the password wont let you in, you can download this from my upload site. I downloaded it from MS when they offered it free for a time. It's called ERD Commander It is Windows XP that lives on the CD. It's an ISO file so burn the content to CD and boot from it. You can do the repairs needed and suggested by the good folks answering your post.

11. Michael-

Michael- Thread Starter

Alrighty, TheOutcaste

I am following your instructions here: http://forums.techguy.org/6945543-post5.html

I am using windows vista RE CD
    after typing @Software I press enter and it says "Cannot Load X:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

And to answer your question on how I got the Recovery Console working... I just kept tapping R to repair my computer prior to it loading. once it loaded my keyboard lights will just go out and nothing would work. but tapping R allowed me to get into Recovery Console.

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

The X:\ means you are trying to load the hive from the CD. Navigate to C: first.

Cool, sounds like it put enough Rs into the buffer to send it

13. Michael-

Michael- Thread Starter

14. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You're Welcome, glad you're back up and running again.

Might be a good idea to run a scan with Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware, just to clean out any traces of what ever caused this.

15. Trekker73

Trekker73

Hello Everyone,

I'm having the same logon issue as described here (had a virus, cleaned and re-booted, then couldn't log on) with a bit of a twist. When following TheOutcaste"s instructions I get through copying the ServicePack files, except that when I exit the Recovery Console I still can't log on to windows.

I've tried to to do it a few times now, but it doesn't seem to solve my problem as it has for others. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!