1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cant make any new users on my xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by AlexJohn9012, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlexJohn9012

AlexJohn9012 Banned Thread Starter

tes, last night i was gonna set up a user account, limited, for a friend cause she had lost access to the internet and my system told me that It couldn't create the new user account.

I've been using windows for over a decade and i've never ever had that item, or excuse come up.

What's going on with my system?
    I do have a program called "DLL-Files.com Fixer" installed on my Xp. It scans my registry every day when i start up my system. I also have diskeeper, most recent version, installed.

Here are the TSG results too. Please help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, x86 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3326 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 250003 MB, Free - 147040 MB; E: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 225563 MB; F: Total - 55239 MB, Free - 55172 MB;
    Motherboard: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD, 790FX-GD70(MS-7577)
    Antivirus: ESET NOD32 Antivirus 5.0, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Rockn

Rockn

Are you sure that your account is not set up as a limited or power user account? Dump those feel good programs as they will only cause issues down the road.

3. AlexJohn9012

r u joking? did u even read what i wrote before you replied? one has to have administrator privileges to create user accounts in win OS's. You should know that and if you did know that you wouldn't have said what you did. Therefor the rest of what you said is invalid also.

I also just love how you are specific enough so that one knows what other things your talking about. I'm talking about what you said about "feel-good programs". i don't see how you can think that diskeeper is a "Feel-good program" seeing as the cleaner still supplied with a windows OS is crap!

4. valis

valis Moderator

that dll 'fixer' very probably broke something. Those apps are worthless, and a great way to crater your rig permanently.

what error are you getting when you attempt to create the user account? Have you checked the event log?

5. AlexJohn9012

oh fantastic, it says that that thing is "microsoft gold" stuff. so much for believing anything concerning microsoft. so i delete the Dll thing and what program if any would you recommend so i can repair my system without messing up the stuff i still have on it. I'd rather NOT wipe the HD and reinstall everything til next month when i make a new gaming computer with Win7.

6. valis

valis Moderator

what thing is microsoft gold? I'm just saying that I've fixed a ton of machines that have been damaged by dll 'fixers' and registry cleaners.

7. AlexJohn9012

that dll-files.com FIXER. once installed and when you open it up to run the cleaner. it states on the right side that it meets the "microsoft gold certification". that's why i purchased it. Also if one goes to the webpage for Dllfiles.com, where you purchase the Fixer. their site states they have been in business since 1998. So again, i thought they were authentic and authorized as someone to repair, at least, ddl problems with microsoft operating systems.

I have since uninstalled that program. If you could let me know how best to repair my system, it would be greatly appreciated.

One thing i have noticed since i installed that program is that i now have 2 instances of "rundll32.exe" always running in my task manager.

When i notice new things running in task manager, i first look them up on google to see what they are and if i didn't install them i try to remove them.

I also have recently read the new Sophos white paper concerning the preponderance of "Fake anti-virus programs" that appear to steal aspects of valid third party sites.

Thanks as usual for your valued reply, Valis

8. valis

valis Moderator

just a general rule of thumb; any of those apps that state they are the one app that fixes everything, well, they are fibbing. I work odd hours, and I am sick unto untold measures of seeing that ad that states 'Does your email take longer than 3 seconds to load? Then run this." It's snake oil.

Basically, treat your rig like you would your car. You wouldn't take a power washer to your engine; yes, it may be clean, but there's some other issues (soaked spark plugs) that may impact performance.

Bottom line, we'll get you fixed up here. Just be patient, as it's an all volunteer site, and we are getting paid just as much as you are for visiting. :)

That right there is the best place to start. The next step is to cover exactly what issues you are having, and apparently you already have with the problems creating new users.

I'd not sweat that, as that is a core process that is calling various dll's....dynamic link libraries. It could be malware, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.
    A wise choice. That is pretty much how I got educated on various issues surrounding my own variety of rigs.
    Indeed. There are a plethora of rogue AV's out there; AVG got hit badly with one earlier this year (I think in January) that actually mimicked it's logo and various other traits.

No worries.....that's what we are here for.

What I would attempt now is sfc....do you have the install disk to be able to launch the recovery console? We may also want to bring in a security expert just to make sure you aren't infected with anything. I don't have a canned speech for that, but I know that ESET offers a good on-line scanner.......

9. Rockn

Rockn

Touchy...yes I did read what you posted, but using a "dll fixer" program brings into question your experience level.

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

What's the exact error message you are getting about the User Account?

Are you having a problem similar to the one described in the following link?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284223/en-us

Have you tried creating that account in Safe Mode?

11. AlexJohn9012

to Phantom & Valis.

now i get no error message, i can't even get the other user to get past the screen where it states, "loading your personnel profile" now it redirects to the main screen where both user names are. And i deleted the one that wouldn't work before i tried today to get into it and made a new limited account.

My user name seems to work faster when i go and open up programs that i had installed before the "Dll fixer thing".

To Valis, I don't understand what "sfc" is sorry bout that. I do still have the original XP discs and i run a full ESET custom scan every Sunday evening. it takes about 12 minutes for it to read through the 50,000+ files on my computer.

12. valis

valis Moderator

'sfc' is 'system file checker'........I'm willing to wager that the dll checker mucked something about in your registry. If you do have the install disks, do you know how to boot into the recovery console?

13. AlexJohn9012

do u mean with using the windows XP discs? nope :) I do on occasion let diskeeper run a "checkdisc" functionality of my OS before the OS comes up normally.

14. valis

valis Moderator

Yup. Boot into the recovery console and do an sfc.....something got wrecked by that dll fixer.

sorry for the delay, we are re-wiring my work place, and my hours are all wonky.

15. AlexJohn9012

ok, i just read the windows paper on how to install and use the Recovery console. My windows starts up fine.I just can't make any other users right now and i don't make users often.

Is there a safer way to check this out? from what i read i could mess it up more. i'm not a software person at all.

also, when i read the entire paper on how to install the recovery console on XP sp3,I didn't see anything close to being called SFC. so could you please be more specific. I dont' usually go mucking about when i'm told to open up command windows and type stuff unless the instructions are extremely accurate.

sorry :(

ok on reading about the sfc thing, it seems to be just windows own ddl-file checker. is that correct?

another question, is the thing called "CCleaner" any good to use anymore?

also, if these files are supposed to be "Protected", how do they get corrupted in the first place?
    sorry if i'm asking too many questions, i'm just curious. And i'm sorry if i go exceedingly slow with stuff i don't know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice