1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't move pictures to SD Card

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by thankful, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Dear Friends,
    Maybe someone can help. My wife was moving pictures from an external hard drive to an SD card and was doing fine for a while. Then she got a message that the card was full. When I checked, the pie diagram indicated that the card was only about 10% full.I tried to move (dragging) the pictures from the external hard drive (actually tried both hard drives that have the same pictures) to the SD card. When I played with it, it would not work for me. I just kept getting the message: "An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem. Error 0x80070052 The directory or file cannot be created"

Anyone have an idea what my problem is and how to fix it? Thanks!

Thankful

2. bp936

bp936

after moving the pictures back to a new folder on the hard drive, and then, if you find the correct answer at the links, back to the SD card, As far as I know, the computer sees an SD card and a USB stick as a drive and can be used the same way. I would try some of the suggestions from here
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-sound/error-0x80070052-the-directory-or-file-cannot-be/89b2981b-b707-4c1e-9227-89ad139efe9e
    and here
    http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2007/09/how-to-fix-error-0x80070052-on-usb-flash-drives/

3. DerekC

DerekC

Kind of along the lines ot bp936's first link, I've seen an issue in the past where the file system on a card wouldn't allow hundreds of individual pics (it would give a destination full error). But if the pics were separated into folders (100 or so pics in each), then there wasn't any problems.

4. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Derek, Thank you for your reply. Your response makes good sense. I realize that I should have explained more details. This SD card was being used to provides the pictures for one of those picture frames that you can buy that displays different pictures along the line of a screen saver. As far as I can tell, if I put a folder of pictures, instead of individual pictures, on the SD card, I will get pictures of manila folders displaying on the frame. We decided to try to use the SD card in our camera to see if it might be an issue with the card itself. It did not work right in the camera either, so we determined it was a defective card. We tried a flashdrive in the frame instead (Staples has either 2 or 4 gig this week for free after rebate) and it worked like a charm.
    Thanks for your help and have a great day.

5. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Thank you for the links. I went to both of them for help. I think the card was defective (see my reply to Derek above).

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice