1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't open and extract backup files on ex.drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by douglasrush, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. douglasrush

douglasrush Thread Starter

I'm just starting this thread anew. I'm sure i'll have some more splainin to do

Lenovo t60 Windows X.P.Pro. External hard drive. Simple Drive from storage tech.
    file is labeled as t40 backup.bkf. It is 53,134,687 KB. I backed up what i thought was a typical system state Backup. All my operating system. I used the Backup utility wizard provided in X.P.Pro. Now i can't open,browse,extract, restore .NADA,ZIP,ZERO,ZILTCH!!
    Any ideas? Is it corrupted? Would something like CC Cleaner Help in the registry?

How about a Third party back up extraction program? It is NTFS Format.:mad:

2. douglasrush

I know,to much ,to soon ,to fast ,to many. I follow up with more info. Hope it helps.

Win. X.P. can't locate recognize my no name file.Since i did not give it a name.It is a hole O.S. worth of data about 50 gigs.The only program I've found that will show it in all it's components is.
    MS Backup Recovery Tool Version 4.3 By systools . They will scan you for free but charge for the download and extraction services.
    I believe they refer to it as the evaluation version.[​IMG]
    Doug I've yet to find a command path that will open it in the restore wizard. I honestly just think i screwed up it's creation.

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Run the backup program again and select Restore Files.

4. douglasrush

Ive tried to do so.The amount of data is way big and won't fit.I'd like to open the it and extract only what i desire,pictures,spread sheets ,certain docs.Is that possible?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't know what you mean. You run the backup wizard, select Restore, browse to the BKF file, and then select which files you want to restore. What is "way big and won't fit"?

6. douglasrush

The file i backed up is 53,134,678 KB.I't's the entire O.S. of win xp pro that i had at the time.Files and all.

The following thread is Kim Komando's message board inquiry form me..

I followed the instructions from a system state back up tip of the day.
    for windows X.P.Pro start>accessories>system tools>backup>,Opened the window..Backup Utility-(Untitled) Left window: clicked ,preload C,
    system state,and my documents.Pretty much everything to get back what ever I would be afraid of losing. The destination was my simpletech external hardrive listed as E:backslash. I didn't title or catalog anything.It named itself t40backup 50gigs worth Just let the wizard do it's thing.I can't open the file inside the external drive.
    WIZARD The ext.hardrive is properties listed as(local) file type and NTFS file system.Can't open it can't load it to disk. Is it corrupted? Bad registries? No Name,can't locate?

When i left click the file listed as t40 backup.bkf,>windiows utility advanced mode>restore>the wizard pops up>restore and manage media tab>On the left side i have an expandable box.

There I'm stuck because my only option is a folder icon C:. It's to big to put back and i can't open it inside the external drive.It just want to restore the file i just want to open .

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Well, Kim Komando gave you some bad advice. I would never recommend Windows XP's backup utility.

You can restore individual files. I suspect you're just having problems with the interface, and that's difficult to resolve in a forum. Take a screen shot of what you see when you get the place where you think you can only restore the entire contents of the backup file.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yeah that's the main reason I never use the Windows Backup because it only works with the Windows backup program and I agree you are not doing something properly unless the file is corrupted which is easy on an external hard drive unfortunately.

9. douglasrush

Thank you Double-Helix and Rich-M. I agree with all you've said Both to my mistake and Windopes Utility..I'll try the screen shot at the best access point. Maybe it's something seen before. Corrupted file scenario Would CCcleaner help or scramble it further. Once again, Right now The dumbest thing i could do is not ask at all.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

CCleaner does not repair corrupt files, so it wouldn't do anything to help.

11. douglasrush

If i did this correctly there should be a jpg. of the last screen the restore wizard will let me manipulate before it tells it can't locate the file name.I tried a bitmap screen shot using MWSnap.3 but it would not upload. Doug

Attached Files:

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

On the left side, click C. Do not click the check box. Click the letter. You should then see files on the right side.

13. douglasrush

O.K. I had about for files that were not terribly large. They each took about one second each to restore. Does that seem right?

14. douglasrush

Sorry 4044 KB's From a file that's listed as having 53,134,678KB's
    So what was the rest

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I don't understand your questions. Were the files restored? Do they open? Are they as expected?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!