1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cant open attachments

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by neary, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neary

neary Thread Starter

Jul 1, 2005
    I am running XP and have MS Word 2002 installed.For a long time I couldnt open a lot of attachments, and got this error msg.
    " This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the "Folder Options" control panel.

I forwarded the attachment across the street. my friend opened it and sent me the results.

Bottom line. He said,and proved that MSWord 1997-to2003 would'nt open it, but his 2010 version did. He sugested that I check around and see if there is something I can download that will let me open attachments like these.

The 100+$ for the new version of MS word could better be spent on my Great Grand Children.

Any Ideas---Any Help
  2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Mar 9, 2009
    That probably means you're trying to open .docx documents. Older versions of Word, like yours, use the .doc extension.

You'll need to download and install the free Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack, and you should be all set to go.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085723