1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't open Documents folder after upgrade from XP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by moonhack, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moonhack

moonhack Thread Starter

Please answer fast!
    Yesterday at night I upgraded to Vista (it's not the first time I do this), then I found that I can't open my documents folder.

I only see a shortcut at my user folder called "My Documents" (I think Music, Pictures, and Videos are inside there) with a generic folder icon, if I open this, I get that I don't have access to that folder, then when I try to get it, it says "Access denied- go to the Security tab". No, the Documents folder is not there. Only "My Documents" shortcut.

Well I open the Security tab, and I try to get ownership, but it says:
    "You don't have permission to see the security properties for this object, you must try to get ownership, etc."
    Below, it says:
    Current owner:
    Mhk (MHK-MACBOOKNANO\Mhk) <-Me!
    and then It says below:
    New owner:
    Admininstrators (MHK-MACBOOKNANO\Administrators)
    Mhk (MHK-MACBOOKNANO\Mhk) <-AGAIN ME!

Well then I try to make me the owner again, but I can't, as it continues asking me the same, like:
    1. I select Mhk from the New owner list, then I 'OK'.
    2. I click 'Edit' again at the Security tab
    3. I get the same window as before, telling me that I do't have the permission.

How can I solve this????

2. Curly

Curly

There can only be one owner. So what you wrote under New onwer: above must have actually meant Change owner to.

When changing the owner, you must click the Edit button. And do not forget to check the box next to Replace owner on all subcontainers and objects, or you soon have to relive this when attempting to use anything within the folder.

3. moonhack

moonhack Thread Starter

The "Replace owner on all subcontainers and objects" is checked, grayed out, so I can't change it.

And maybe you don't understand it, I can't make me the owner. If I click my name then click OK, then click Edit again, it says I don't have permissions. My name is there two times so maybe there is some weird confusion on the system.

4. Curly

Curly

Going solely by what you have written, you are attempting to take ownership incorrectly. But I cannot tell if those are the actual steps you are following, or if you are just paraphrasing.

So, explain in detail the actual steps you are following.

I did not read the steps on this page, but the snap-shots look correct. They save me the time and effort from having make or write about them myself. Notice how what you wrote do not follow them.

5. moonhack

moonhack Thread Starter

Okay.

1. Right click Unopenable "My Documents" shortcut on my user folder.
    2. Click on Properties.
    3. Click on Security tab.
    4. Click on Edit.
    5. Click Continue on UAC prompt.
    6. "You don't have permissions to see the security properties of this object" (<-Translated from Spanish). This window says:
    Current owner:
    [me]
    Change owner to:
    [admins]
    [me]
    7. I click my name on the "Change owner to" tab, then click OK.
    8. The Security tab says I have total control, but it's not true.
    9. I click OK.
    10. I still can't open the folder.

If I'm doing it wrong, please tell me. I have to fix this.

By the way:

11. I go again to the Security tab.
    12. I click on Advanced.
    13. On Permissions tab I get:
    Type | Name | Permissions | Given from (<-is that the name on english?) | Apply to
    Deny | Everyone | Show folder / read data | <not given from anyone> | Only this folder
    Allow | Mhk (MHK-MACBOOKNANO\Mhk) | Read & Execute | <not given from anyone> | This folder, subfolders, and files
    Allow | Mhk (MHK-MACBOOKNANO\Mhk) | Total control | C:/Users/Mhk | This folder, subfolders, and files
    Allow | SYSTEM | Total control | C:/Users/Mhk | This folder, subfolders, and files
    Allow | Administrators (MHK-MACBOOKNANO\Administrators) | Total control | C:/Users/Mhk | This folder, subfolders, and files
    14. I click Edit, below the list.
    15. I click Continue on UAC prompt.
    16. I get the same window as in step 6.

6. Curly

Curly

Everything is fine until step 4.

After step 3, click Advanced.
    Select the Owner tab.
    Click Edit
    Select your account under Change owner to and check the box Replace owner on subcontainer and objects if you wish to have ownership of those items as well.
    Click OK.

You are done. :)

7. moonhack

moonhack Thread Starter

Sorry, I still can't open the folder. :(

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In the Properties for the My Documents shortcut what folder is shown as the Target?

9. moonhack

moonhack Thread Starter

None, like:

Target:

That's all :/

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That's what I expected, but wanted to make sure. I have no clue why the My Documents shortcut is included--on both my Vista and 7 systems it's like yours--no target and just get "cannot access" no matter what is tried.

OTOH the Documents or My Documents actual folder is fine. If the folder is working fine for you just forget that shortcut. I thought maybe it would have something to do with an "upgraded" system, but apparently not.

11. moonhack

moonhack Thread Starter

The thing is, where is the actual folder?

I found a hidden folder called $WINDOWS.~Q and I found all the folders I had, but only folders, no files. And .ini files too (like desktop.ini), but I'm sure this is just a leftover folder from the upgrade, no?

By the way, see if you can answer my other thread too, please?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I've never done a Windows upgrade and you have done more than one. You should be telling me. :)

I would have thought that the XP My Documents stuff would be "brought forward" to the Documents folder (C:\Users\<user account>\Documents).

Have you searched for any of the files?

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I looked at your Windows 7 thread, and have nothing to add. Except for the unsolicited advice to forget upgrade and install Windows 7 fresh.

14. moonhack

moonhack Thread Starter

Well on a previous upgrade all files were brought to a new Documents folder. But not in this case:confused:

Searching for the files? Good idea...

Nope. I can't find them :'(

15. moonhack

moonhack Thread Starter

Sorry for not answering and for the double post; Internet went down.

So, I did a fresh Win7 install then found my files at a (previously not there) folder called $INPLACE.~TR, but I had to enter there from Mac OS X, then pass the files to another folder, as Windows 7 couldn't see the folder.
    Then I fixed all the ownership problems and I got my data back :) Thanks, anyway.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!