1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't open Image folder

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hewee, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Can't open Image folder.
    Had it open this after noon but now each time I open the folder the PC closes the folder and taskbar and all the icons blink away or everything refreshes.
    I have tried each profile, rebooted, shut down and started over again.

What is going on?

The folder is in D:\My Images. Is 589 MB, 1741 Files, 14 Folders.
    I tried other folders and they work OK.
    I can see the images from ADCsee and scans of the folder show nothing.

I used ACDsee to see and copy

Made a copy of the whole folder to get "Copy of My Images" but that acts up also and I losted the undo copy.
    I copied what was in the "D:\My Images" folder to "F:\My Images 2" on USB drive and all is OK
    Made a copy of the "D:\My Images" folder to the F:\ drive and it open but then blinked away and also any other open folders close.

Renamed "D:\My Images" to "D:\My_Images" and got the same trouble.
    Made a "D:\My_Images" folder. Note the underline added to the name and all is ok when I copied all over unto that folder.

This is like what is in the folder is OK and the folder is what is bad but how and why? :confused:
    I never had or even heard of something like this going on till now and it happen to me. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

I did the testing and had the trouble but was in the Admin profile when I made the other folders etc above and the other new folder were working and still work.
    But when I go to the user account I have trouble on the same new folders that work from the admin account.

All is so odd.

2. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Did Full scans with Avast, Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware Professional and all is clean.

3. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Bump to top

4. AtlBo

AtlBo

Welcome to the dungeon of Microsoft Windows accounts I guess...

| | | | |
    | |:|)| |
    | | | | |

Apologies if I am taking your question too far off course. I know nothing about accounts, and I hope I'm not interrupting, but may I ask a question? If not, please ignore...

When you are logged on as administrator, do you automatically see everything for all accounts (folders/files, etc.)? Also, is your start menu as administrator different than user accounts if you have installed different programs?

I have never used an account in Windows, but I am envisioning a crazy web of jumbled setups and confusing or inaccessible settings. Seriously, I don't know, but the tools for administration of multiple accounts at least in XP (what I use) seem far beyond inadequate. I guess that's the main reason I haven't ever set up an account...

5. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Yes I see automatically see everything for all accounts under administrator.

Just checked and I get this trouble under all accounts.

Main administrator - Safe mode
    User account with - administrator right
    User accoint with - limit rights.

So does even in safe mode.

When I open the "My Images" it blinks and closes and I see just the desktop and desktop icons. All open folders will also close. The order of program like Firefox open windown may change order and the icon of program at the clocl may change order also.

6. AtlBo

AtlBo

Have you searched the contents of the folder yet...including hidden files and folders?

Just right click the folder and leave the search boxes empty. Go down to the botton and find the option of the search menu for searching hidden and system files...

Sorry assuming you are in XP

7. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Yes it is XP

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3650, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152523 MB, Free - 89335 MB; D: Total - 152586 MB, Free - 44162 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0J584C
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Only files found were "Thumbs.db and Desktop.ini" and I even deleted them.
    They both rebuild and I deleted them again and then only the "Thumbs.db" was rebuild.

8. AtlBo

AtlBo

Thumbs is normal. Desktop.ini is created if you mod a folder or change its style, for example changing the icon. Those are both normal...

Have you added any pictures to the folder lately? One of your pictures seems to be doing something strange here...

9. AtlBo

AtlBo

Thumbs is normal. Desktop.ini is created if you mod a folder or change its style, for example changing the icon. Those are both normal usually...

Have you added any pictures to the folder lately? One of your pictures seems to be doing something strange here...

Could be something on your PC came with a picture and added the desktop.ini to the placement folder of the picture. The desktop.ini seems to me likely causing the folder to link the "My Images" folder to other folders and then to be creating the following problems. Yes, could have been a small program that was set to created the desktop.ini in the folder where you put the picture. I think that's possible with a desktop.ini.

I would say reboot and see if the folder opens without the desktop.ini in there, since you have removed it, but it could respawn on boot if there is a virus making the file. You could boot into safe mode to see if it's still there, but then you'd still have to find the infection before booting into normal in case something on your PC can make desktop.ini on boot into normal mode.

This part above is telling me that something on your machine could be creating instructions for the one folder. Not an A/V expert, but it looks to me possible that you picked up a virus of some kind...

10. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Ok only started after I open the "My Images" folder and I did add one photo from this site.
    Now I do not think it did anything but that it only started after I saved the photo in this post.
    http://forums.techguy.org/8598230-post24.html

I can try rebooting or shut down and wait to clear any memory from holding any info I don't want.

I know the desktop.ini file is not there now and I still have the trouble.

Will also try again to make new folder and make sure I do not copy and other hidden files.
    Wait I used ACDsee image viewer to copy and paste images to new folder before so no hidden files were moved over.

Even went in and unchecked "do not cache thumbnails" in the tools, folder view setting.
    Maybe I better checked that setting in all profiles to make sure.

No I don't think so because I only copied what was in the folder.
    I also did it again without that one image that was added that same day this started.

11. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Can all "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini" be deleted?

I did check other profile and had to unchecked "do not cache thumbnails" in the tools, folder view setting.
    So need to go to safe mode and see what the main Admin account has.

12. AtlBo

AtlBo

OK...so it wasn't likely from that picture, granted, hmmm. I still believe you could have picked up something before you downloaded the kitten picture that was set to cause the problems with your first picture save. That kind of thing can in theory happen on just about any link I suppose.

If/when you reboot into normal mode, do check to see if the desktop.ini has been recreated...

If you can search for the .ini file, it might help to see what's in it. Just search the folder using including hidden and system files, then double click on desktop.ini. It will open like a text file. If you can post it, I can check it against the ones on my machine where I have changed the icon.

BTW...you don't need to do away with cacheing the thumbnails. It's normal for them to be in every folder where there is a picture (maybe even every folder). Keeps thumbnails close for folder previews....

This just sounds like intelligence behind what's happening on your PC, due to the occurrence of the problems even when you change the folder name. Sure seems like somebody dropped something on your machine just to be a pest. Something is reading your changes to the folder, etc. Hopefully, it's no more than that if it is something like that...

Maybe this could be of assistance:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6142_102-309601/xp-desktop-blinks-folder-vanishes-and/

13. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

Almost forgot I uninstalled "FileAlyzer" and installed "FileAlyzer 2".
    http://www.safer-networking.org/products/filealyzer/

Now I went into safe mode and looked at "do not cache thumbnails" in the tools, folder view setting and it's UNCHECKED.
    So now images should be cache to folder thumbnails. But they show up.

Also did something else.
    I had other folders in the "My Images" folder so I moved them to a new folder.
    Now "My Images" folder will open ok. :)

I viewed each of the other folders or what is in each folder in the thumbnails view and now everyfolder is in that view after deleting all the "thumbs.db" and "desktop.ini"

When I view the folders that were in the "My Images" folder in thumbnails view then the trouble starts again.
    So now it is all or one of the 6 folders that is in that one folder so now what one I need to find out.

This is crazy also because I have unchecked "do not cache thumbnails" in the tools, folder view setting but they still show up.

Ok I go to play around and see what happens with those 6 folder.

14. hewee

hewee Thread Starter

This is now Solved after a folder that had for 7 weeks was deleted. ;)

So the trouble may of been there all this time but I never had thumbnail view of that one folder.
    Good thing it was really nothing in the folder so no lost deleting it.
    Wish I knew what file it was but not going to waste more time on why it happen.

Also the "do not cache thumbnails" in the tools, folder view setting is just that a cache and I was thinking unchecking it would stop the thumbnails.

Could of saved a lot of time looking into the sub folders to start with but got it fixed now.

Thanks for helping AtlBo. :)

15. AtlBo

AtlBo

Glad you got it resolved. Little conflicts can pop up sometimes (any time). I've had similar experiences, and it sounds like you are out of it for this one. I think perhaps boots natively repair some things, so maybe those helped.

On to the next chapter of PC madness...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087478

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice