1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't open Microsoft Access Database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lizabella, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lizabella

Lizabella Thread Starter

When opening Microsoft Access, the norm is to have a samller window inside the large window pop up that says the type of data base. Then you can click on the icon inside to open up the database. Well, someone in my office closed out the smaller window and I can't figure out how to get it back. I tried looking in the recent history to no avail.

I know this is a stupid question, but I can't figure it out and the database holds my list of clients which I desperately need. Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. Sponsor

3. coachdan32

coachdan32

Have you tried F11?

4. Lizabella

Lizabella Thread Starter

I just tried F11, but nothing changed and I still can't access the little window that allows me to open the database. Seems like it should be a simple fix, but am a social worker, not a tech :) Thanks for the suggestion.

5. ticklyfloss

ticklyfloss

When you open the database, try opening the Tools menu and click Startup..... there is a check box in the dialog box which turns of shortcut keys (F11)... put a tick back in this box and try F11 again. Hopefully, your database window will display.

6. Surreal2

Surreal2

I always close the small window anyway, then use File/Open from the bar at the top of the main window and then browse for the database I need. Have you tried this?

If you don't know where the database is located then use Window's Find/Search utility to search the entire PC for files named:

*.mdb

That should find all MS access databases on the PC.

7. coachdan32

coachdan32

We're on the same page Surreal, I was just going to advise that they open it from it's location instaed of through the app.

8. Lizabella

Lizabella Thread Starter

ticklyfloss:
    I tried your suggestion to look in the startup, but the box "allow default shortcut menu" was already checked. Thank you for the suggestion.

Surreal2:
    I tried your suggestion to open the database from the file/open bar. When I open the database I am looking for the small window still does not open.

To be specific about what I am trying, I open my database "case number list" and it opens with the Microsoft Access but without the small window that should say Case Number List: Database. When I hit F11 it does change. What occurs is a scroll bar along the side of the large window but nothing else.

Additionally,this database is housed on one computer and our office all has access through the network. I know it still exists and was not deleted or anything because other computers can pull up an older version with the recent history.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I am out of ideas and REALLY need my list of clients. Thanks :)

9. Gregor1234

Gregor1234

I may be out in left field but I think what you're saying is that the "database window" is missing. This is the window that would list all the forms and reports you would normally run.

Am I correct?

So you can find the correct Case Number List database file wherever it is on the network and open it with Access but when you do, you don't see the normal database window that should show the forms and queries.

In that case, open the Case Number List database, then click on the "window" menu item on the bar across the top. Then click "unhide" and select "Case Number List: Database" and "OK" to unhide the database window.

If there are a bunch of other windows hidden as well, it is probably best to leave them hidden and only unhide the Case Number List Database window that you need.

Is that right or did I misunderstand the problem.

10. Lizabella

Lizabella Thread Starter

Gregor1234:

You've described my problem EXACTLY! (y)

I tried your solution, but after I click OK to unhide, the database window still does not appear. The only thing that changes is a scroll bar appears along the side of the Access Window. When I closed it out and reopened it again to see if anything had changed, it still gives me the option to unhide. Is there another way to unhide it besides the one you described?

Thanks so much,
    Liza

11. Gregor1234

Gregor1234

Sorry it took a while to get back to you.

When you click on "windows>unhide" the "unhide window" should open and it should list all of the hidden windows so you can highlight one (or more) hidden window and then click "OK" to unhide it.

Now when you click windows>unhide, you don't see the unhide window, but a scroll bar appears on the side of the window. To me this indicates that the "unhide window" is indeed opening but it is appearing somewhere outside of the visible portion of the window, scrolled either off the top or bottom of the window.

When it opens, the unhide window will appear in the same position it was located at whenever it was last closed so if it was scrolled down off the bottom of the screen when the database was closed, it will open scrolled down off the bottom of the screen.

So, when you click window>unhide and the scroll bar appears, use it to scroll all the way up and down and see whether the unhide window can be found by scrolling around. Does a horizontal scroll bar also appear? If so use it as well to scroll to the left and the right to see if you can find the unhide window.

Also, not mentioned before, the database window could simply be minimized. If so it will appear as a short bar at the bottom of the Access window that could also be scrolled off the bottom of the screen but since you do not see any scroll bars at first when you open the database, I think that's not likely to be the case.

12. Lizabella

Lizabella Thread Starter

Gregor 1234:
    :) :) :)
    You help has been so great!!I can now get into my case number list, yeah!!!

I did as you suggested and unhid it, then I scrolled for an 'eternity' and found it minimized in the far right corner at the bottom of the page.

However, when I went back in again, I had to unhide it again to see the database window again. Is there anyway to permanently unhide it?

Thanks!

13. Gregor1234

Gregor1234

O.K. so it appears the the database window was both hidden AND minimized right?

After starting the DB and unhiding and restoring the DB window, go to tools>startup on the menu bar and look at the check box in the upper right titled "Display Database Window" If it is unchecked, then check it.

Then make sure the database window is not minimized when you close the database.

Also drag the database window back up to the upper left hand of the Access window so you won't have to scroll around to find it. You should be able to drag it all the way to the upper left and when you do, and the database window is entirely within the default Access display window area, the scroll bars should disappear. Now close the DB with the DB window restored and in this new location.

When you reopen it, the DB window should reappear in this same location (even if you have to unhide it again).

If however when you go to tools>startup, the "Display Database Window" box is already checked, and the DB window is being hidden even though it says right there to display the DB window on startup, then there's something else going on and there may be some programming in the database startup that causes the DB window to be hidden every time.

Perhaps... did someone else look at the DB on your computer with the screen resolution changed to a much higher resolution? And then maybe you changed the resolution back later to a lower resolution to make the fonts bigger? That could explain why the minimized icon was all the way down below off the screen because the screen would have been that much "bigger" when viewed at a higher resolution and what was on the screen then would be off the screen now at the lower resolution.

I have to go now. I will check back once this pm if you have other issues but otherwise won't be back on until tomorrow.

14. Lizabella

Lizabella Thread Starter

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

The "display database window" was unchecked and checking that did the trick! The solutions you offered seem so basic to me now, that I feel foolish for not being able to figure it out. But, I had a whole office of college educated professions who couldn't figure it out either :rolleyes: ha ha

As this was my first post, I read the rules to posting on this forum and it had stated to mark the problem solved by going into the menu called "thread tools," choose "mark solved," and clicking the "perform action" button. Well, I didn't see that option, so could not do it. However, my problem is definitely solved!

Thanks for taking the time and patience to help. I really appreciate it!
    Liza :)

15. Gregor1234

Gregor1234

To mark as solved, you scroll up to the beginning of the thread. on the top of the forst post, there is an additional bar. On the right and of this bar there are three buttons for "Thread Tools", "Search this Thread" and "Display Modes". Clicking "Thread Tools" opens a drop down box containing the option "Mark as Solved"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/376100