1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't open Open Office text file

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by moosescooter, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moosescooter

moosescooter Thread Starter

I'm having a problem opening a text file in Documents that I wrote using Open Office.

It's extension is .wps. I get a message it opens with swriter.exe.

When I try to open the text file, I get a long list of titles, such as: Open Office.org 1.0 Text Document, PSD - Adobe Photshop, etc., but I don't get the text file I wrote.

I recently did Disk Cleanup and Error Checking, so I might have removed a program I needed to click open and read my Open Office text files.

Advice would be appreciated.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You are trying to edit a Works file NOT a WORD document.

I am NOT sure that you made this using "Open Office" but then I would not install in on any of my machines.

See http://filext.com/file-extension/wps

3. Hughv

Hughv

Notepad will open anything. Try it and see if you can extract your text.

4. moosescooter

DaveA, thanks for the response.

When you said you wouldn't have any on your machines, I assume you meant Open Office.

Why would you not have Open Office on your machines?

5. moosescooter

Hughv, thanks for your response. Notepad opened the file unintelligible output; Microsoft Works word processor opened the file in a good form.

Moosescooter

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I tried a earlier version and it took over every file type and set it to be the default. When such a program does this, I will never give them another try. Lucky for me, I made a TrueImage, before trying it out and was able to rebuild may machine in less than 30 minutes.

7. Hughv

Hughv

It would have been far easier to pay attention to the install process. Many programs will set themselves as the default for relevant file types (Imaging and music programs, for example).
    Changing the default file type is a trivial exercise in any case.
    Open Office is an excellent program used by millions of people who either can't afford Office, or who think MS dominance of this field is overdue to end.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I haven't used Open Office in a while but I thought I remember it asking if you wanted to associate file types.

Alot of great programs ask you this when you install. I believe even Irfanview does and most people can't live without that program.

9. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I learned long time ago to watch for these questions about default settings, this version of Open Office did NOT ask, or display any check marks about changing the settings. It was a very big issue when the program first come out and a lot people got suckered in in trying it out.

10. letchworth

letchworth

I would be interested to know what version you are speaking of--- I have used OpenOffice for 10 years and have never run into that problem in any of the versions I have used. In each of the versions during that time I had to choose to make OpenOffice the default program to either create or open files compatible with the Microsoft program. In each version of OpenOffice that I have used during these 10 years OpenOffice defaulted to it's own proprietary format- and I had to tell it not to (as I correspond with many people who think MSOffice is the ONLY format).

If you have any idea of the version about which you speak, I would appreciate your input- I am one of the millions of whom Hughv spoke-- an avid fan, and joyful cheerleader.
    letchworth

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Most current 3.0+ versions do not ask and do not try to take over every file type Dave. I remember the 2. series all asked during the install if you wanted it to be default for Ms Office documents and this program has come along way. You need to look at it again.

12. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    It was way back with one of the first versions that was posted.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/863091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice