1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't open or save rtf file I receive on a regular basis

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ccobler, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccobler

ccobler Thread Starter

I am monitored at my job by a program that sends rtf document through Outlook every hour (during business hours). I often work remotelety and all of the sudden I cannot open or save these files. The error I get is:

"Can't create file filename.rtf. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions on the folder"

I delete these files regularly as I receive them. A co-worker has this same issue at the office on his work computer and our tech support has not been able to solve it. We are running XP and Office 2003 on both computers.

If I check by webmail, I am able to open the rtf, but cannot open it from Outlook.

Thanks for your help.

2. Sponsor

3. computerman29642

computerman29642

You can try This....

Code:
    Close all applications...
    Config Panel>Internet Options>General, then clear Temporary Internet Files.
    Re-Open Outlook, and try saving the file again

OR

Code:
    Close all applications...

go to the start button, go to "search", do a search for "OLK*" 
    no quotes...

You may find OKL or OLK19, OLK with some number in the folder name. 

Make a backup of the folder *Optional* This is just to be safe

Go into your OLK folder and delete everything in it. 
    You may have files that you can not delete. No problem. 
    Just unselect those files and continue to delete the rest of them. 
    In the end, you may have 3 or 4 files that you can't delete.

Once you have deleted the contents of your OLK folder, 
    exit all open folders, re-open Outlook, 
    and try to open the attachment you were having problems with.

4. ccobler

ccobler Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the reply. I tried both methods and still no luck. The strangest thing is that I can go to webmail and click on the attachment and it opens fine, but when I try to open or save in outlook, I get the error.

very frustrating because I have to go to my webmail every time to check the file even though I can see it in Outlook. The file is named tapit.rtf every time....no specific date indication...

:confused:

5. computerman29642

computerman29642

One other thing you can verify is that you are setup as an administrator on your local machine. If the report is being produced by some software, then it may have code written that only administrators can open or save the file.

I will keep researching to see if I can find any other useful information.

6. ccobler

ccobler Thread Starter

This is only a problem in Outlook after receiving the file 12 times a day for a long period of time. It never affects opening the file from webmail. That's why I thought deleting temp files would be the right fix. I know our tech guys at work had to uninstall and reinstall outlook to get it fixed on one pc. I am the administrator on my home pc.

Really strange. Thank you again for all your help.

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

This definately sounds like a temp files problem.

Use your registry editor to navigate to the following location

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security

There will be a registry key called "OutlookSecureTempFolder" Check the value that is assigned to this key which should be the the true location of Outlooks temp files directory which is different from your regular Windows temp files directory. This is the directory that you want to delete the temp files from. If you are unable to locate the registry key value mentioned above by navigating to the location provided you should be able to search the registry by opening the registry editor and clicking EDIT >> FIND and then typing in the name of the registry key (OutlookSecureTempFolder)

If deleting the files from the directory doesn't work try creating a new temp files directory for Outlook to use and change the path on the registry key above to point to the new directory.

What is the name of the attached file? Similar problems can occur if the attachement filename is too long.

Regards,
    Rollin

8. ccobler

ccobler Thread Starter

I am at work right now and am not having that issue, but I will try it as soon as I get home. The outlook temp folders sound right b/c it only happens after an extended period of time receiving the reports. The file is always named "Tapit Reporting System.rtf"

You are right. That is a long name.

I REALLY appreciate everyones help with this.

9. ccobler

ccobler Thread Starter

Deleting the files from the temp folder did not help, but making a new temp folder and changing the address in the registry did it!!!
    Genius!

Thank you so much.
    ccobler(y)(y)(y)

10. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Bravo Ccobler! I'm glad it worked out for you. Please feel to mark this post as solved using the thread tools at the top.

BTW....Welcome to the TSG forums!

Regards,
    Rollin

11. ccobler

ccobler Thread Starter

Absolutely!!!

12. andrem

andrem

Thanks, the fix also worked for me, but only had to delete the stored temporary files. Great Help!

13. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

I'm glad the posted solution worked for you Andrem. Welcome to the forums!

Regards,
    Rollin

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/694705