1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't open .pps files with Windows Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by BIGALX58, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

My laptop came with a trial version of Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007. After the 60 day trial period expired, I installed the latest version of Open Office. I believe that .pps files should work with Open Office(?) Ever since I uninstalled Microsoft Office, I have not been able to open .pps files in my Windows Mail emails because I need to 'create a file association'. I tried to do that, but the pps extensions are not listed. What should I do so that I can open .pps files in my emails? My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium. Thanks.

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Select one of the PPS files, right mouse, open with, browse to Open Office, select it, select Always use this program ....., OK your way out.

3. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

I did what you suggested, but Open Office begins to show that file right away... 'imports the power point' is what appears at the bottom of the screen.
    When I go back to the email, I get the same message as before and the pps file won't open. I did find the .pps extension in Set Associations and it does indicate that Open Office is the program to open .pps files. I hope that I didn't mess things up somehow.

4. HalTrout

HalTrout

PPS should be associated with Powerpoint

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Well, not really. They just need to be associated with something that knows how to interpret a PowerPoint presentation, such as Open Office.

Al:

Follow
    this link

And see if there is a "Show" open in the PPT file type. If not, add it but use the path to Open Office which you should find under "Open".

6. BIGALX58

BIGALX58 Thread Starter

I updated Open Office and made sure that it handled all of the MS Office files like .pps, .doc and .xls....and it appears that did the trick...the .pps files in my emails open!! Thanks for your time and concern.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice