1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't open Regional and Language Options

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KevinK, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

My keyboard is set to the US setting and I am from the UK so I want to change this but when I go into the control panel and double click on the regional and language options the sand timer comes up for around two seconds then it turns back to the normal pointer and nothing else happens and the window has not opened. Although this may not seem a big problem it is extremely annoying to have to use a US keyboard setting with a UK keyboard and several keys are reversed such as the @ and " keys which is extremely confusing if anyone can help please do.

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Umm, I know how to change the keyboard setting I'm just basically asking why I can't get into the regional options I am the administrator for the com and I can't even access this option I find it extremely strange any help?

4. stantley

stantley

The program that runs that is intl.cpl. Go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and double-click on intl.cpl and if nothing happens there is something wrong with that file. You should have another copy of intl.cpl in C:\I386, see if that one works.

5. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Ok, I found one in the system 32 but nothing really happens when I double click on it and there are two in the i386 folder, one is all writing and the other one just doesnt work. Any suggestions?

6. Dan O

Dan O

As you know there are many methods to access most Windows functions and I am trying to provide you other methods to access the option you need to change.

Checkout this link, which provides two methods: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306560

7. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Ah, ok I understand now. I tried the methods on the link but unfortunately they still use the Regional and Language Options which I cannot get into. Thankyou for your help though.

8. Dan O

Dan O

Run SCF /SCANNOW

Which will check for corrupt Windows files and restore them.

Then try again.

9. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Did the above suggested but still it doesn't work although I'm sure this must have fixed a couple other corrupt files hehe.

10. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Bump.

11. Dan O

Dan O

12. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Old post but same problem never got fixed, Win XP wass preinstalled I don't have the disk to reinstall it any suggestions?

13. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

R-click taskbar,Toolbars, tick language bar. When language bar is up, select options,settings.
    OR try.
    R-click My Computer, click properties, click hardware tab, click device manager, click "+" beside keyboard, r-click "your keyboard", click properties, click driver tab, click uninstall driver.
    Unplug keyboard from computer, restart, plug in keyboard when prompted or after it boots up.

14. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Worked through language bar - thanks a bunch.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!