1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cant post. read the guide. pls help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bmarley83, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

following your problem build guide in these forums

system 1 specs outside of case - Gigabyte EG31M-S2 - Intel E5200 2.5GHZ - 2GB OCZ Gold 800mhz - on board video.

system 2 specs outside of case - ASUS P5K Pro - Intel E1200 1.6GHZ - 512MB kingston DDR2 667mhz - PNY 8800GT 512MB DDR3.

Have tested both systems with 2 working psus 1 Enermax Liberty 500w 1 Antec earthwatts 650w both configs breifly go on and for about 1 sec then fans stop spinning almost like something is shorting.

Hi everyone i recently built a system from newegg and could not post. I asked for help here earlier last month in this post on these forums http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/750418-new-build-no-post.html

Well after playing with it for about a week i ordered a new psu (the antec psu is new and ernermax is original) and the system still did not post at first with new psu. then all of a sudden one day it posted after fiddleing with it outside the case as instructed in the problem build guide. AND (system 1 inclding the 8800gt) IT WORKED FINE:)! Put it in the case it posted installed all other hardware and windows vista without any problems. installed quite a few games i.e. masseffect and everything was great. Then i got greedy because at first when i couldn't get the system to work i ordered several new parts (system 2) to swap out and test including a full atx ASUS P5k pro mobo witch i chose over the original micro atx Gigabyte EG31M-S2 for more expansion room. So the system was fine but like i said i decieded to swap mobos. BIG MISTAKE if it aint broke dont fix it right well i'm stupid i guess. Anyways i'm back to square one i cant get either board to boot now outside of the case and i am following the problem build guide exactly. now get this i have tested the two psus with an older 20pin pentium 4 atx board and they both work fine so my former conclusion of a bad psu is wrong. also i have two core 2 duo cpus too swap as well as several working ddr2 dimms to swap and three cpu cooling solutions too swap between all of that i cant get a working machine. I know these parts work. no mater how many configs i try i cant get it to post. i spent about $1800 on total parts with the ones i got for troubleshooting and im starting to get mad:mad:. both systems no matter what board or psu i use will post. only a short jolt of power that leaves the fans spinning for about one second then nothing. Could anyone pls help i must be overlooking something:eek:. this is the first time i have built any dual core system and the hardware has changed a bit since the much simpler p4 p3 and p2 days when u put the parts in and they worked. im pulling all my hair out so i dont need to goto the barber this month:confused:. this has never happened to me before im begging for an answer. thankyou in advance for any help. pls be nice and give a suggestion if it pops in your head. can anyone help? thankyou.

2. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

isnt there anyone who might know an answer to this or is this an immpossible question? everything i have stated is exact. i know its not a software question but im really stuck please. someone, anyone.

3. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

4. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

5. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

6. Guruman

Guruman

pooooooweeeeer suppply -change it
    and reset cmos

unplug the power cable and take out the batery wait 1 2 minutes then put the batery back and plug the cable try that could help
    and check procesor

7. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

bump still doesnt work after "gurumans" advice to remove battery on both mobos. as said in my post i already tested both of the power supplies i used. any more suggestions. i've tried a different cpu thats working and tried resetting cpu and heatsing multiple times on both mobos do u think it could be the motherboards what are the chances of getting two broken motherboards. i got the eg31m-s2 working before but once i removed it to upgrade it no longer boots. purchased evrything from newegg. i dont want to rma board(s) and then find out i waited a month or two for nothing. any more suggestions. thankyou guruman.

8. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

9. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

90 views 1 comment i know u can do better than that

10. D X Mage

D X Mage

Check to be sure you don't have a stray brass stand off under the board that isn't under a mounting hole on the system board.

11. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

bump thank you for your response D X Mage. i've been doing all my tests outside the case on the mobo box with a piece of cardboard underneath. its not a visible short if any. but this happened when i originally put the machine together same exact symtoms. then one day put it all together outside case and it worked put it inside case and it worked(quite well was playing mas effect full quality 30-40fps never crashed no problems until...). i then decieded to swap boards but no goood. i tryied old board, and got the same results as when i originally put it together. i guess i could rma one board(p5k pro) then keep testing the gigabyte that worked at one point and i wont lose out. keep em coming i'm dyin' here $1800 for a pretty desk ornament. :-(

12. D X Mage

D X Mage

Might want to have it mounted on something even if it is a motherboard tray to ground it. But that is a separate issue. Have you tried booting with one DIMM? It sounds like you have tried most everything..... what kind of heatsink mounting system have you got? Do you have a plate on the backside? Is it metal? You might want to remove it check to see if there are any points from the motherboard are poking through the insulation on the plate? Are you making good contact with the CPU and heatsink? are you sure there are no bent pins touching each other anywhere on the board like USB or firewire headers or jumpers? What happens if you don't have any memory on the board? Do you get any error beeps?

13. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

bump okay thanks again D X for taking the time too help. what do u mean by make sure the board is grounded to the mobo tray? i'm using the stock intel heatsinks for testing. checked both boards again thoroughly and found some bent soldering points on the back which i straightened with pliers and same result, quick jolt of power fans spin for split second then nada. i have been alternating three sticks of mem 1 at a time in the first ddr2 slot of both mobos 1 pny 1 kingston and 1 ocz no difference in fact no mem at all and i still get same result? the reason i keep pressing the issue is because i'm alternating between two motherboards 2 cpus and 2 psu's but i get THE SAME EXACT! Results from each one. once again thankyou guruman and D X Mage for your help and time i'm going to rma the p5k pro today and keep messing with the gigabyte even though the odds are unlikley i got two defective boards i have run out of options. plus i dont have too many friends who are willing to swap out there boards to test my two and i dont blame them. if you guys can think of anything else please let me know hopefully you get back in time before i take a long drive off a short peer. thanks these might be my final words.

14. bmarley83

bmarley83 Thread Starter

15. D X Mage

D X Mage

mmmm what happens if you boot with no ram?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757876

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice