1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't preview any image files...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by NinaKoura, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NinaKoura

NinaKoura Thread Starter

This has happened to me a few times before, but every time I click on any sort of image file, I don't get a preview on the right side of the window. I have everything set up like I normally did to get the preview, but it suddenly stopped working about a month or so ago. When the problem occured before, a simple registry fix remedied the problem, but now NOTHING works! I've tried the "regsvr32 thumbvw.dll", but I get some error message that says something like "LoadLibrary ("thumbvw.dll") failed." I have Windows 98 SE...can anyone help me? :confused:

2. Filewasp

Filewasp

http://aumha.org/regfiles.php
    registry patches- towards bottom is one for fixing thumbnail viewing. It is always recommended to do a back up before altering your registry.

3. NinaKoura

NinaKoura Thread Starter

I tried both registry patches that would apply to my situation, but neither of them worked. Any other suggestions?

4. NinaKoura

NinaKoura Thread Starter

Anyone?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try going to Add/Remove program > Microsoft Internet Explorer > Remove > Repair

and do a "repair" on IE. It will verify and register files like thumbvw.dll

If you get any errors or file version issues, let us know what they are.

By the way, do you have "view as web page" checked in the folders where you want to have previews? It must be.

6. NinaKoura

NinaKoura Thread Starter

I started to repair internet explorer, but I got "Internet Explorer 6 could not be repaired. Please Run Setup again to reinstall all components. I clicked on "Details..." and got the following message:

"Internet Explorer 6 cannot be repaired due to the following errors:

File ATL.DLL is missing (which it's not, because I checked and it's in C:\Windows\System)
    Version 8.0.7820.0 of the file MSXML3A.DLL exists, but the version needs to be greater than 8.0.7916.0"

And yep, I have "view as web page" checked in the folders.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well that's an indication that you have missing or mismatched IE files. Usually the resolution for this is to remove the current version of IE to return to the previous installed version and then update again.

Frankly before attempting such fixes and just good practice anyway, I would recommend installing an alternate browser such as Mozilla firefox or Opera 7. That way you can be sure that any radical attempts to resolve the problem will not leave you up the creek without a paddle.

8. NinaKoura

NinaKoura Thread Starter

I took your advice and reinstalled IE, and lo and behold, everything works perfectly again! Thank you SO much for your help! I appreciate it!

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

We got lucky ;)

So glad to hear it!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice