1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't Reach Recovery Console to fixmbr

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by I Fix 4 U, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

OK. Moderators listen up. i dont know if this is the best place to put this thread. i installed linspire linux and it erased my mbr on my xp's harddrive. i have two harddrives. i have a command line grub on my second hardrive but my boot harddrive's mbr used just boot up xp. now it was rewritten by linspire.
    my main question is i can still get into winxp by the use of this floppy in which i put the grub bootloader on.
    i want to make it so i dont need the floppy but i cant reach the recovery console to fixmbr. I can still boot any os on my computer i just want my mbr back without erasing data (e.g. i will not do a system restore).
    so how can i get into recovery console or fixmbr.
    ps i booted to dos and did fdisk /mbr and that didnt work.
    also i want the mbr on my first harddrive to be fixed. its ok if the one on my second still keeps grub, as i can use that.

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

┬┐please help me i cant find anything on this subject.?

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

ps i could go back to the original xp mbr by using fixmbr if someone told me how i could get back into the recovery console, but an alternative is just to get grub working on my 2nd harddrive. .95 is installed in mbr but there is no linux partition at the moment so there isnt any boot directory containing grub stuff like configurations. how can i make it so i dont need that floppy to boot up my xp like i did before. basically i dont want a floppy to boot i just want it so that when i turn on my computer it loads xp off the back until i can put another distro on my pc.

4. lynch

lynch

Boot with the XP installation CD, type r for recovery, choose 1 as installation to repair, log in as administrator and run fixmbr.
    I think that's about it. At least, that's all I ever had to do.
    HTH
    lynch

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

i dont have an installation cd, my computer came w/ it preinstalled. is there a way to make one?

6. lynch

lynch

Do you know someone who has a CD you can borrow long enough to fixmbr?
    Windows: Uber Xpert? :)
    lynch

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

yes very much i am. i do not have this cd and i can't get in. i'm good at fixing windows problems heck i can still boot it. i just can't get around inside w/ linux messing things up. i want my mbr back but i guess i could borrow my cousin's xp install cd. i dont use the install cds for installation of xp. i just leave the i386 folder on my hardrive and install off of the harddrive.

8. lynch

lynch

Yeah, but you need the CD because XP doesnt have the option to make the ERD anymore.
    lynch

9. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon

Hi, even if you don't have the CD, you can download the 6-disk WinXP Set from here:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Download your corresponding BootDisk and boot with disk 1 in the A drive, the blue setup screen will appear and will ask you to keep swapping disks and so forth till you reach the "Welcome to Setup Screen" at which you can press "R" to enter the Recovery Console...

10. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

ok well i have that and i was about to make the floppys until it said i needed 6. well i have six floppies now so i guess thats the best bet.

if it is setup floppies when i go using them will it copy files to my harddrive or mess things up. i dont wanna mess things up the point is to get them easier.

iXneonXi

11. n7Epsilon

n7Epsilon

Hi, using the floppies won't mess anything up since the floppies copy files to a RAM drive that gets erased when you reboot...

12. lynch

lynch

There we are! Probably wont have to go through all six to do a repair.
    Thanks, n7Epsilon. :)
    lynch (skulks back to the Linux forum ;) )

13. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

ok well i'm about to do that. ty.

14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

ok with the ability of me to find a way into the bootup screen, ;) i could reach the recovery console.
    (ok what i did yall is repeatedly press the f8 key while issuing the boot command to grub, which is my bootloader and i usually use the command line while doing tasks like this.)

new problems have come up though.

I know chkdsk just to make sure everything is ok. its ok
    i fixmbr because i have been waiting for this and it tells me i have a nonstandard mbr which could be a special bootloader (and yes, pain in the u know what linspire put lilo there) and that issuing the fixmbr command may mess up my partition table or somthing of that like making my system unbootable.
    if this is making sense than somebody please help me get my computer bootable again without my grub floppy or having to punch in commands back into the command line grub on my harddive. basically i want my xp's harddrive back to normal.

(which means the bootloader needs to be the same, and my partitions need to be unhid, but i can handle the unhide part).

Any help would be great because if my xp's harddrive (the original) is messed up or modified it will change what my warranty will give me for tampering around. (thats why i got a second harddive for putting grub and linux and other operating systems).

15. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

well i selected yes to fixmbr and it fixed it. i now boot normally again into windows for my first hard drive. no more problems in this case.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!