1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't reinstall Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pcguy9441, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I've managed to shoot myself in both feet. I'm trying to prep an old Core2 Duo machine in the garage for Craigslist.

It's dual boot with XP and Win7 HP and had several partitions with data, music, photos, etc. I reformatted all non OS partitions with Windows or EaseUS Partition Master and wiped them with Ccleaner. It's long since lot's it's dual boot capability - don't care - and it won't let me reformat the XP partition since it thinks it's an active OS partition.

The main problem is I somehow broke Win 7 so when I click on Computer it won't open. In fact I can't open any folder without a "Server execution failed" error. The system will re-boot fine, but since I can't open Computer , I can't see the DVD drive. This means when I have the Win 7 install disc in the drive, the system does not see it at boot time so I can't reinstall the OS or do a system repair. I have even set the DVD drive as the first boot device and it still skips to the hard drive and boots. The DVD drive does not twitch, budge, or make a sound. Catch 22. I don't think the drive is bad.

Any suggestions on how to dig myself out of this hole?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you have set the BIOS to boot the DVD drive first, and it still doesn't boot the Win 7 DVD, then it is either the DVD drive is malfunctioning, or the DVD disc is scratched.

If you have access to another computer, here's the Microsoft link to download a new ISO image.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

3. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Yeah, maybe bad drive. I just tested the Win7 disc in my main machine and it boots fine. I have another old PC and I can pull the drive from. Got carried with my ewaste recycling and got rid of other perfectly good DVD drives.

Thanks.

4. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I followed the link to make a restore disc and after entering the lic. key, it just came back with no error nor next step. Have you done this? I wanted to put it to a USB thumb drive.

5. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Problem solved. It was the USB keyboard. It was not getting the "press any key" to load from DVD drive while other keys and the USB mouse did work. Inserting a USB to PS-2 adapter fixed the problem. Have decided to do a full OS reinstall since, as usual, system restore is useless. None of the 6 previous restore points going back over 12 mo. are any good. I have hardly ever found that feature to work when I really need it.

Thanks for the replies.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Glad you got it solved.

7. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Do you or anyone else out there have anything good to say about Win8 system restore? I did not get past Win7 Pro64. However, I am now playing with the Win10 trial and liking it a lot. Wonder in any improvement to system restore on 10?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice