1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't remotely access router even after config

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ckey, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ckey

ckey Thread Starter

We have an Asus RT-N56U router at home, which is connected directly to a cable modem. I am attempting to remotely access the router's interface, and am having trouble doing so even after configuring it properly. I configured the router's firewall to allow remote access, using port 8080. I also set up DDNS, although I tried connecting using both the IP and the DDNS name.

I also set the router to respond to pings, and I am able to successfully ping the router (from a remote location) using both the DDNS name and the public IP. But when attempting to connect using my browser, it doesn't work. I have tried multiple browsers, multiple remote locations, and disabling my computer's firewall, all with no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi ckey, and welcome to TSG.

The ping replies may be coming from your cable modem and not the router.

Is your cable modem set to act as a gateway and pass all internet traffic in both directions or is it running as a router with its own NAT function? If it is running as a router, you may need to set up port forwarding on.

3. ckey

ckey Thread Starter

Hi and thanks for your welcome and reply.

The cable modem is not configured as a router - it passes network traffic straight through.

In fact, the Asus router is new, and with the old router I had no problem remotely accessing it. Also, the ping was not working (with the new router) until immediately after I configured the router to respond to pings, so clearly it is the router that is responding.

Thanks again for the help...any other ideas?

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  5. ckey

ckey Thread Starter

Attached Files:

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  7. dpl

dpl

possible if you have static internet ip am not sure with this dynamic dns, but if you are on the same network u can use the local ip of the router to gain access to its web interface

8. ckey

ckey Thread Starter

I don't recall if it was 8080 or something else, but I tried switching the port number yesterday right before I posted my last reply, and it didn't work, but then today it started working. Not sure why, maybe it took some time to kick in. Anyway, not sure exactly what the problem was, but I'm considering the issue solved.
    Thanks very much for all the help.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice