1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't remove an item from the add/remove list...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by VeLiKi, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VeLiKi

VeLiKi Thread Starter

...and it's giving me hell. I installed the Eset NOD32 3.0 antivirus, I wanted to give it a go. I disliked it, had a lot of trouble with it, and finally tried to remove it. For some reason I couldn't remove it on a conventional way, using the add/remove tool, so I removed it from my windows startup list, and then physically removed the folder from my HDD, and then used PC Tools Registry Mechanic thinking that it would do the trick...but it didn't. Now I'm stuck with the ghost of the NOD32 3.0 haunting my add/remove programs list, and I can't do anything to remove it. I tried various registry cleaning programs, but I just can't find it in the lists.

Here's a screen cap of it:
    [​IMG]

So, any ideas on what I can do to clear this?

The main problem is...I can't install any other Eset antivirus (I wanted to go to NOD32 2.7) while this thing is still in my add/remove list!

BTW, I'm using Home edition winXP with SP3.

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

GO HERE.
    You may have to re-install it to remove it if that doesn't work.

3. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

4. VeLiKi

VeLiKi Thread Starter

Well, none of the advices worked...it's still stuck there in the list, and I cannot re-install the nod32 because the setup tells me that I have to remove the old version first. :confused:

5. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Just a question, did you do a cold boot after running their removal tool? If you did, and it didn`t make any difference, so much for their own "Removal Tool"

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Doesn't seem like just the Add/Remove entry would cause that, but if you want to get rid of it,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Also, after doing the steps in the manual removal, did you reboot?

7. VeLiKi

VeLiKi Thread Starter

Yes, I rebooted after manual removal, and after using their removal tool.
    Also, on that key throoper gave me, I have a whole lot of entries, but none that would look like eset, or nod32 or anything close to that...do you know how does their key look like?? How's it called?

8. VeLiKi

VeLiKi Thread Starter

An update:
    After doing what the guide that Throoper linked to me on their website told me, I have managed to install the nod32 2.7, it's installation completed successfully. I still have the ghost of the nod32 v3 hanging in my add/remove list...but oh well...I guess we can call this one solved. It doesn't really bothers me if there is a ghost entry in my add/remove list, as long as I've been able to install a 'new' antivirus. Thanks everyone! :)

9. Augie65

Augie65

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You could check in the GUID subkeys of the Uninstall key. They contain detailed values for the programs and one of them may be keeping the entry from going.
    Problem would be that now that you have a different version installed, it might be hard to tell what one is the old and what is the new.
    Personally, I'd quit while I was ahead, or at least until I had nothing better to do than hunt down an irritation. :D

11. VeLiKi

VeLiKi Thread Starter

And that was just my plan exactly! :)

Thanks everyone, though!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!