1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't rotate JPGs using Windows XP rotate feature

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by fsponge, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fsponge

fsponge Thread Starter

I have thousands of JPG files, and not a single file can be rotated using the rotate feature in Windows XP. I have also tried loading the JPGs in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and they cannot be rotated there either.

Clicking the rotate clockwise or rotate counter-clickwise buttons in Windows has no effect, nothing happens. I am able to rotate the pictures using other image editing software, but it would be much more convenient if Windows would allow me to do it.

Note: I can rotate GIFs without any problem. Only JPGs won't rotate.

Does anyone have any idea what could be done to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

Something I found online, and assuming you are talking about the use of "Windows Picture And Fax Viewer" (WPAFV?)
    (Windows XP is not a picture viewer. It is an OS. I believe WPAFV is what you mean when you said you are using "Windows XP")
    -----------
    If you once clicked "No and Don't Show Me Again" when a dialog warned about the possibility of lossy rotate, this should restore it.

Open a picture in the Windows Picture And Fax Viewer. Hold down the Ctrl key and click the X in the top right corner of the window.

3. fsponge

fsponge Thread Starter

Thank you! Your solution fixed my problem!!

4. ChuckE

ChuckE

So, you should then change this issue with a Solved prefix. Just a suggestion.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Sounds to me like you need to replace Image n Fax viewer with the freeware Irfanview ...
    http://www.irfanview.com/

It's been so long since I've used Image n Fax ... I can't remember what all it can't do.

6. wilson44512

wilson44512

7. RaveKid

RaveKid

I used a program called Irfranview. One of the best photo utilities Ive found very useful for such reasons as easily rotating photos and extracting frames from .gif animations at ease. Also with a variety of other useful and fun features. I strongly recommend you go download it. (y)

8. ChuckE

ChuckE

While I am a BIG IrfanView supporter, and I have used it for years, and have recommended it many times; the orginal question, from the starter of this thread, was to find out what may have caused his problem. That was answered - - although fsponge has not taken my suggestion to mark this thread solved.

Please let's not make this another graphics viewer war. :eek: :mad:
    Instead of burying it here, why not just start a whole new thread to really get the discussion going (one more time!).

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

I'll mark it solved ChuckE

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/473202