1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Cant run at 100mb ??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by eurodat, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eurodat

eurodat Thread Starter

I have a LANhere in my house with 4 PC's on it. All the PC's have 10/100 NICs and the cheap mini switch i bought is a 100/10M net-Lynx SW808X-R.

The problem i have is that if i have a network cable longer than a few feet i have to set the PC network card to 10MB as at 100MB it is not seen on the network and can't browse. If i move the offending PC close to the mini switch and use a short cable, its fine at 100MB.

All the cables check out fine so i was wondering if maybe the mini switch might be the problem and maybe it's attenuating the signal or something?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You are not checking the cables out correctly. :D

While a cheap network tester will indicate the cables are good, you have the classic signs of incorrectly wired pairs in the cable. Remember, the two pairs normally in use are 1-2 and 3-6, note that they're not on adjacent pins on the connector. If the cable is wired with the pairs on 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8, it'll look fine to a simple continuity tester, but it won't work properly for the network, and it gets much worse at 100mbit. The proper pairing is VERY important, and the cables won't work properly any other way.

This is way more common than you think, even when "professionals" wire them. :D I have a bag of connectors and my crimp tool for accounts that have just been wired and I'm installing the computers. I run through a lot of connectors fixing new cables. :D

FYI, here's a page that shows you the pinouts for straight and cross-over cables. http://www.cabletron.com/support/techtips/tk0231-9.html

3. eurodat

eurodat Thread Starter

(y) That was it!!! Thanks John... I cut the connectors off and made new ones according to the diagram and yessssss.. at last 100MB

THANKS AGAIN... I owe you a beer :D

4. JohnWill

Make it a virtual beer unless you're in SE-PA! :D:D

5. eurodat

eurodat Thread Starter

Not quite... Lincoln, England.. but if you are ever passing through.... :p

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hey, I didn't know you were in SE-PA???? Did I? :confused:

7. JohnWill

Well, I know you're in LV, so you should know I'm in SE-PA! :D

8. JohnWill

I really should keep a book of all the virtual beers I'm owed, maybe someday I'll be in places where I can collect! :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164694

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice