Solved: Can't run MSCONFIG

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
1. When did this work last?
2. Have you run a virus scan?
3. From Explorer or My Computer, browse to C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries

Is the file MSCONFIG.exe present?

aaa3788

It’s there and when I double click, it works and thanks for the address.
Its funny when I run it Start>Run by "MSCONFIG" or "MSCONFIG.EXE", it doesn't work....don't know why.

Attachments

Try registering the following file

regsvr32 shell32.dll
regsvr32 comctl32.dll
regsvr32 rpcss.dll
regsvr32 msctf.dll
regsvr32 imm32.dll

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Run REGEDIT
Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
Open "App Paths"
Is there a key under it called "MSCONFIG.EXE"?
If so, click on it and it the right screen what is the value of {default}.

likely do do with your pathing options. Check your PATHs to make sure that that you should have the following lines:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem

aaa3788

There is no MSCONFIG at registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

But, C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSCONFIG.exe is working. So I'll create a shortcut for that and that's not bad.

Thanks all. I really appreciate it.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Did you check Environment variables (Control Panel > System > Advanced tab > Environment Variables button) suggested by blaqDeaph ? (Note: %SystemRoot% may also be shown as C:\Windows).

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
The issue is not a PATHing issue, but rather is caused by a MSCONFIG entry missing in App Paths (the result of an over zealous Registry Cleaner???)

You can use the shortcut or download the attached file, change the TXT extension to REG and doubleclick on the file to add it to the registry.
Msconfig should then work again from the Run.

Attachments

WhitPhil said:
The issue is not a PATHing issue, but rather is caused by a MSCONFIG entry missing in App Paths (the result of an over zealous Registry Cleaner???)
The windows equivalent to pathing? just add it back to the App Paths registry then...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts