1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't see other drives

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mrcobra, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Just reformatted my winxp machine which has 3hd's. Unfortunately I am only seeing "C" drive. What the hell has happened ? I partioned all three drives and reinstalled XP on C

2. jrbuergel

jrbuergel

First Name:
    Jim
    In the control panel open the Administrative Tools, then open Computer Management which is used for your disk drives. Did you also format a file system as well as partitions on these other 2 hard drives? If not, you will need to format each with a file system to be detected and then usable. Check in there for options for a possible fix. The Event Viewer may also list some error or warning messages related to this issue.

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

ok i got the one drive now showing but I still am not seeing the other. Now someone told me that since it's a sata Dr ( i think) that I have to allow it to be seen from the bios, but I just don't know how to go about doing this. I mean I know how to get to my bios but I have NO idea what I am looking for.

APon further review of the bios screen I see only this that looks like my HD's

IDE Primary Master Quantium
    IDE Primary Salve WDC
    IDE Secondary master None
    IDE Secondary slave CD rom

where the NONE is I am thinking that is where my other darn drive should be.

4. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

I just don't get it lol.....something so simple is so hard. In the device manager I see listed under "other devices" Multimedia audio controller & Raid controller, both with yellow explanation marks

5. norton850

norton850

Some older BIOSs (like mine:D ) will not show a SATA drive on that screen. You say that you have 3 HDs and that you partitioned them. Where did you do the partitioning? What I'm asking is did the SATA ever show up during the reformat? Also suggest that you download and run this utility Everest to see what you have for HDs. The make and model of the MB might help also.

Edit: You also will need to reinstall your sound card drivers. Unless you have a RAID setup with your HDs don't worry about the RAID controller.

6. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

I went under disk management and I do not see the other drive. I partioned them before reformatting the computer via the xp disc. Now that I think about it I can't be 100% sure I saw the other hd there or not. I'm almost certain that I did though.

I have sound so I don't know why that is yellow. I have a different sound card in and I am not using the onboard sound card if that means anything.

Everest does not show the other dr.

7. norton850

norton850

Since you've done a reformat you may have to reinstall the SATA drivers for Windows. Do you have a CD that came with your MB. I would ignore the yellow exclamation devices.

8. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

I will have to look for the driver

9. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Other HD is now found. Got the SiS SATA RAID Driver for my MB:

Thanks all for the help

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice