1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't seem to access the Internet on my Wifi connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ad3n, Jun 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

I've got a wifi setup going with 2 computers hardlined in and working fine. I tried allowing access for my sister's laptop (all computers running Win7) and I'm able to connect to the network, however it's only "Limited Access" and does not connect to the Internet.

The network is password protected and WPA2. The wireless signal is on, and the Network Mode is on Mixed (not just G, N, or B only). My girlfriend's Mac was able to get onto the wifi network but the connection was acting odd by occasionally going in and out of connections at random times. The router is a LinkSys WRT160N.

Any ideas on what info I can provide you guys so that I can get this laptop up and running?

2. willjackson

willjackson

you could change the security encryption to wpa only, try to connect again check if it will work

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Reset to factory defaults and reconfigure. Start with WPA/PSK and see if that works, it's the most compatible encryption.

4. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

The problem with going down to WPA is that I recently had someone hack into my connection, so I'm quite leary about downgrading that aspect.

5. JohnWill

Well, I can assure you that they didn't hack WPA with a strong random key, it's still quite secure. The only known exploit is for an attacker to insert small packets into the stream, but no connection is possible. Besides, this is a test to see if it's the encryption.

6. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

See, this is why I come here. Changing it to WPA was the trick to get it going. Thanks guys.

7. JohnWill

Great, glad to see it worked out. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/931916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice