1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't seem to get anywhere-very slow

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Shamrock, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7934 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 393851 MB;
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, ALOE
    Antivirus: Trend Micro Maximum Security, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

I am in safe mode because webpages take forever to load trying to start regularly.
    A little more information. A few wks. ago I kept getting a popup box that said Google chrome has crashed (when I didn't have chrome on my computer)...etc. I had help in the malware forum...so don't know if this still has anything to do with that or a new problem.
    I am able to be online now by being in "no add-on " mode.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Please clarify if this

actually does mean SAFE mode with networking and therefore the low resolution screen

OR
    2. are you referring to the other comment - normal windows mode but using IE without add-ons from programs accessories, system tools, IE No add-ons.

3. IF it is only OK in Safe Mode then it may be any one of a few issues.

4. If it is alright just with normal mode and no add-ons - then it is of course likely to be an add-on. IF that is the case go IE
    Tools - Manage Add-ons
    The Window that opens will show currently loaded add-ons on a drop arrow on the left pane
    What is there please - that is enabled.

5. As my colleague said in the Malware topic - select and disable anything you do not recognise or need.

6. On that drop arrow you can then view
    all add-ons
    run without permission
    downloaded controls

7. Please see screenshot
    check on those - generally you can ignore the entries on the block Microsoft Corporation.

8. You can safely disable add-ons by selecting in list and then click disable - lower right corner.

9. The currently loaded add-ons list changes depending on the site you are browsing

Attached Files:

3. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

Yes, it was safe mode with networking. Disregard that.

It seems to work ok when using the internet without the add-ons. I will attach pics of currently running.

One question on under all add-ons there is: isInstalled class and disabled. When you click on that for more info it says in the popup box that I gave permission to 2 websites to use it and Facebook was one and the other was the web address for help from a local computer guy that had replaced my harddrive couple yrs. ago. So he could help remotely. Anyway, even tho it is disabled should I delete those two websites listed in the box? I guess it's Java related and I had uninstalled Java long time ago.

Attached Files:

4. Macboatmaster

There is nothing in currently loaded that appears likely to be the problem
    What please is listed in
    all add-ons

a screenshot/s would be great

You can of course try troubleshooting the problem if indeed it is an add-on by working your way down the list disabling say four at a time.
    Do NOT forget that the disable only takes effect AFTER you close the browser.

In respect of the ones you mention, yes you can of course safely delete the one from the remote access although they only come into use when you go to the respective site, so they cannot be responsible for the problem..

If you can make no progress with those I would go Tools Internet Options
    Advanced and reset IE

Before you do that please see this as to what is reset
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings

I think that may indeed be the best option, if you are prepared for what is deleted

5. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

If I start disabling add-ons do I work from the all add-ons list or the currently running ones?
    If I do the reset for IE...under the settings for deleted it lists it will delete the settings for •Disabled toolbars and add-ons.
    Does that mean it will just 'enable' them?
    Here are the screen shots of all add-ons.

Attached Files:

6. Macboatmaster

the currently loaded list changes as you go to different sites so for instance - on currently loaded may not be flash player until you open a page that uses it - as I mentioned

On the troubleshooting attempt for that reason - use all add-ons as explained on this link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-explorer/manage-add-ons#ie=ie-11-win-7

To turn off add-ons
    1.Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar.
    2.Click the Tools button Tools button, then click Manage add-ons.
    3.Under Show, click All add-ons, then select the add-on you want to turn off.
    4.Click Disable, then click Close.

You must then restart the browser for that to take effect

Re IE RESET - deleted
    Only disabled ones on reset
    •Disabled toolbars and add-ons

but that is not a problem as if after reset you find just one particular type of page will not open - for instance YouTube Video will not play you can then deal with that individually

I will look at your last set of screenshots and post shortly - I have done and there is nothing that is immediately obvious to me as the cause of the slowdown

Have you recently had updates to your TrendMicro Security just before this problem started - that maybe the cause.

Am I correct in saying that you are using IE9
    If so I would strongly recommend you update to IE11

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

My new yearly subscription to Trend Micro was installed Jan. 8, 2015. It does it's little updates automatically I guess so not sure when last one was done.

Yes, I have IE 9. One time I automatically got updated to IE 11 and I didn't like it so went back to IE 9.

On the IE reset I was more concerned if it messed up like I have something on HP disabled.

8. Macboatmaster

1. Trend Micro do actually recommend the latest IE with their Maximum Security product.

2. Could you ask this question again
    On the IE reset I was more concerned if it messed up like I have something on HP disabled.
    please
    I do not quite follow what exactly you are querying- with the HP aspect.

3. On all I see to date progress can only be made by
    A. The add-on troubleshooting OR
    B. The reset OR
    C. try IE on another user account and see what it is like on that account.
    If you do not have another account you can of course set one up, use it only for testing and then delete it and all its files.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

When I had the malware for the Google chrome pop up I think one of the things we did was the fix it tool. Didn't that reset all of IE settings?

I don't see it listed in my add-ons but I read where with Trend Micro if you have this checked (which I do) it adds an add on. "Prevent Microsoft Internet Explorer from running malicious scripts on infected websites checkbox to block dangerous software injected by hackers into legitimate websites.
    Marking this checkbox will install an Add-On for Microsoft® Internet Explorer®. Disabling Add-Ons within Internet Explorer® will stop this protection from working."

How foolish would it be for me to uncheck that?

I have no idea how to set up another user account. Sorry.

I will try doing the add on troubleshooting either tonight or tomorrow.

10. Macboatmaster

1. But as I said - you can re-establish any add-on (Trend Micro add-on) after reset And RESET only deletes add-ons that are already disabled

2. Control Panel
    User accounts
    Manage Another account
    Create a new account

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I disabled the first two items listed and I think one of them is the culprit cause I am online the normal way and went to several different pages and seems to load like it should.
    Do I need to try and narrow it down to one next?

These are the two:
    Adobe systems incorporated
    shockwave flash object version 16.0.0.257 (no file date is listed)
    shockwave activex control version 12.0 development ( no file date listed )

12. Macboatmaster

1. Close IE

2. Go Control Panel Programs and Features
    uninstall Adobe listings, other than Adobe Reader if you have that, so you are uninstalling Adobe Flash Player - most likely shown as 16 ActiveX and Adobe Shockwave player if you have that as well - which will be the version 12 you list

3. It is unlikely you need the Adobe Shockwave player - separately installed - which is this
    http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/
    and it may well be that it is this causing the problem.
    AND it is a security risk
    http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/05/why-you-should-ditch-adobe-shockwave/

4. REBOOT the computer.

5. Open IE you should now see that those add-ons do not appear in the list of all add-ons
    It is important NOT to check on ONLY currently loaded, as that list changes depending on the site you are visiting.

6. Now test the browser and how it is working.

7. Then go here
    http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html
    you should now NOT see the clouds moving see para 5 on that link -as flash player has been uninstalled

8. If all is OK now and you need the flash player add-on go here
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

set OS 7
    set version IE
    ensure you UNCHECK the offer of the Google Chrome and Google Toolbar
    Many people miss this and then are puzzled as to how they have suddenly acquired those.

On that download page you will see this
    Note: Your antivirus software must allow you to install software.
    I have no idea if Trend Micro will need to be disabled to allow the install - you will have to test it, unless you know.

9. After the installation
    REBOOT
    and test.

10. Many people have installed the separate shockwave player - not appreciating the difference.
    However you may have acquired it from some other installation - not noting that it was bundled with it.

11. May I now briefly return to IE9
    see this please
    http://support2.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/?sort=PN&alpha=internet+explorer

it is already outdated and please note that next year it will be unsupported on Windows 7 as the latest IE for 7 is IE11 as I mentioned.
    The choice is yours but I would repeat my recommendation to go with IE11 its security is far better

13. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

16.0.0.257. Your Adobe Flash Player is not up-to-date. The latest is 16.0.0.296. That could be a cause...

14. Macboatmaster

I agree, as indeed my colleague Phantom010 and I normally do, but when you uninstall at 2 on my post 12 and follow the procedure at 8 on the same post - it will then install the latest version.

15. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

I am going to do the uninstalls shortly. I have/had Adobe flash set up to tell me when an update is available and then I update it. I don't let it automatically do updates. I am aware you need to uncheck for the toolbar etc. they try to get you to install.

If I don't need shockwave I probably won't download it then. As long as I can play videos at Youtube I should be ok.

Thank you for the info on IE 11. I will keep it in mind.

To be on the safe side...I'm enclosing a pic of the 5 Adobe things in programs/features. Which ones do I delete?

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice