1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Cant seem to share on home network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ShenaniganS, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ShenaniganS

ShenaniganS Thread Starter

I just finished setting up a home network and everything seems to be working fine. My internet (DSL) is working fine on both of my comps but i cant seem to share any files between them. Im running windows xp pro on one and windows xp home edition on the other. Once i try to enter the other comp C drive my comp tells me a error has occured and that it needs to end the program, being my explorer.exe. Whitin seconds it comes back on. Any suggestions pleaz reply

Thanx in advance:D

2. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

have u enabled file/printer sharing in the options?

3. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

See if you can ping each computer from each other. If so, you know it's not a cable problem.

If you think you're Explorer.exe is damaged...try this:

Start-->Run-->cmd

sfc /scannow

You'll need your Windows CD in the CD tray if you want to try SFC (System File Checker).

Also, make sure that the Windows XP built-in firewall is off.
    Right-click Network Neighborhood and choose properties. Select Local Area Connection and choose properties. Select (Don't uncheck) TCP/IP and choose properties. Click the Advanced tab and make sure "Protect my Computer and Network......" is not checked.

4. ShenaniganS

I tryed what you both said but i cant seem to find both of these options. So i was wondering if you can direct me where exactly these options are.

I am do have a router of a hub. I am running the network of a D-Link network card with a cross over cable.

Thanx in advance.

5. play1998

play1998

hey can you pig each other of the computer the ip address that it has, hey if you could then you should be able to share

6. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

go under network connections, right click you LAN connection, click on Properties, when the box opens up, ensure that the File/Printer sharing has been selected. this will enable you to share across the LAN. Hope this helps :)

7. ShenaniganS

I can now share files.Thanx. Is there a way that i can now enter the other comps hard drive from my comp? We can share files only the files that in our Shared Folder and thats all. Any i deas how to share whats on the hd?

8. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

Go under 'my computer', right click on the drive u want to share, click on properties, select the sharing tab on the top of the box, and select that u want to share the drive.. that shood work for ya! Hope this helps :)

9. ShenaniganS

yellow grrl you have done it again! Thank you for your help i can now share my hd on boths my comps. thank again.

10. GillIT

GillIT

You can also right click the folder or drive you wish to share... choose the "Sharing..." option.

11. yellow_grrl

yellow_grrl

No Prob, Glad I Cood Help:)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice