1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Can't send/receive faxes

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kwadukusa, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kwadukusa

kwadukusa Thread Starter

Am using Windows XP. Since switching from dial-up to ADSL for Internet connection I have been unable to use my analog connection for faxes (don't get dialling tone). Have checked hardware and software via Control Panel. All seems OK. Anyone else had this problem?

2. bernardus

bernardus

I am using a ADSL connection. But I also have a digitalised phoneline on the same modem.
    So I can also use a dialer. Even a 56K dialup modem as a simulated pfone. An ADSL connection won't work together with a dialup connection. Windows has had always trouble with this combination. But what you need is a faxaccount. Most providers serve this option.
    Don't know how your phone connection is established? The point is that the browser of explorer cannot distinguish between the dial up or the LAN connection. It seems that under all circumstances the dialup option has priority over the LAN. With the 57K example you would be able to dial up, but than you need a phoneconnection as I have.
    bernardus

3. kwadukusa

kwadukusa Thread Starter

Thanks Bernadus My phone connection is via the same landline as the ADSL and and is separated through a filter providing an analog connection, with dialling tone, which is connected directly ito the (old) fax modem. I would have thought that the fax console would feed directly to that modem as previously, without any involvement of the internet browser

4. bernardus

bernardus

kwadukusa
    If you are using a analog landline you are able to use a faxtransmitter too. You can use the analog modem and use it as a faxdriver reciever. I am using Bitware as Faxprogram and I can fax over the analog line as well as trough the digital line. But as I stretched out I have a combined system Phone plus ADSL. the analog line is seperated with a splitter. In my combined system the analog line will be deleted. But I still will be able to dial with the faxprogramdialer. The combination Dialup and ADSL however will not be a succes with internetbrowseroptions. Now there are two ways of dialing 1: by phone dialer and 2: with a programdialer like faxsimulating. I understand that you still have an analog line? if so, it must be possible to use a 57K modem.

bernardus

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Try connecting the phone line directly to your internal modem without the filter. This will confirm whether that is the issue or not.

6. kwadukusa

kwadukusa Thread Starter

Thanks WhitPhil. Have removed filter as suggested. Fax send/recv now working,
    Kwadukusa. Durban, South Africa

7. WhitPhil

You should be able to buy a "splitter/jack" with 2 or more outlets, that you plug into the main phone jack. Then plug the fax into one outlet and the filter into the other one.

Attached Files:

8. kwadukusa

kwadukusa Thread Starter

WhitPhil, thanks, already have jack/splitter which I'll use as suggested. Kwadukusa.

9. WhitPhil

Excellent. You can mark this thread closed by using Thread Tools at the top right.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543739

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice