1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Can't shutdown Win XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ajdupont, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajdupont

ajdupont Thread Starter

Hi
    I'm really trying to be patient. I'm on my 3rd install of Win XP Home Edition. Each time after formatting a new hard drive. The opportunity at hand is I can't seem to shut windows down. Or restart for that matter. The last thing I get is "Saving your settings" and then it just locks up. I hit my reset button on my computer and it boots back up normally.
    The only software I have installed is Ulead Video Studio and Nero. I also have a DSL connection. Sometimes it seems slow.
    Also sometimes when booting up I get the message "Bad_ System_ Config_ Info". I hit the reset button and everything is OK.
    It seems my problems started when I installed Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.0. I never could get it to work even with all of their patches.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    Pentium III 1 ghtz
    256 meg ram
    80 gig HD
    Thanks in advance

2. Dan O

Dan O

This is straight from Windows' XP help:

To enable Shutdown Event Tracker
    Open Registry Editor. Caution:

Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on the computer. You can also use the Last Known Good Configuration startup option if you encounter problems after manual changes have been applied.

In Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Reliability

Click the following entry:
    ShutdownReasonUI:REG_DWORD:

Assign a value of 1, and close Registry Editor.
    Notes

To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. ajdupont

ajdupont Thread Starter

Dano,
    You're the man. Thanks so much. It worked perfectly. You guys just don't realize how much this site helps people like me. I owe you one. Thanks again.
    ajdupont

4. Dan O

Dan O

You're welcome. I know how frustrating it can be.

For example, I use CompuServe and I know more than any of their techs. They had a router problem that when on for months, I pointed out to them. It drove me crazy, all they knew was what was list in their knowledge base.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!